Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fly Tying & Salmon Fishing

Hello,

Sorry I missed the gathering but it was my father-in-law's birthday. We took hom to the Sugar Shack in Benton.

Anyway, I wanted to let those of you who are interested that I will be teaching a fly tying class in Concord NH called Match the Hatch. As you might be getting ready to go trout fishing, this course focusses on aquatic life and the best flies to imitate them.

I will admit that I can't wait to get my 3:1 fly reels from Jason and hit the big pond. I have tied some tube flies for the salmon called the "3-Eyed Smelt along with my Tiger Smelt and my Sunset Smelt. I will have one to two lines with cast of flies this season and good ole hardware on the others.

If you want more information on the class, see below. Otherwise may the salmon hit hard and fierce.

I wanted to let everyone know of a 6 week class I have decided to teach for Concord's Classes For Life program. The course is called Match the Hatch and will focus on Tom Ames book on Hatch Charts for New England Streams. We will be tying flies each Monday night with homework of fishing them during the remaining week and reporting back. This way we get some real feedback while learning to tie some innovative and fun patterns as "life" comes back to the water....

Contact
Jeffrey Siegel
Director Community Education
170 Warren Street
Concord NH 03301
603.225.0804 (phone)
603.225.0826 (fax)
www.classesforlife.com

FYI: Although at first I was thinking about fishing instead of teaching, I realized that it is still early in the season and I rarely get out during the weeknights anyway. Also, many of my previous classes are filled with questions about fishing and how to fish the flies. This class gives us the uncanny ability to share techniques, locales, and advice on a weekly basis. This will prove for some real excitement.

For the course syllabus, check out:
http://www.chappysguide.com/html/match_the_hatch.html

Re: Fly Tying & Salmon Fishing

I have a 16 year old son that has only tied a couple of flies with a friend. Can he take this course or is it over his head? What do you think?

Re: Re: Fly Tying & Salmon Fishing

Hi - We take beginners. The first class goes over basics but we also challenge those that are novice. We have a teachers assistant who will help the beginners during the first few classes.

Our goal is to keep the students busy with new materials and repetition so that they really come up to speed fast - gaining confidence at the vice.

Thanks for your interest.