Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why we do this...

Good post, got me excited.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Just a few pics to get the blood flowing... and remind everyone why we get up at ridiculous hours to go out in the cold and rain.
Some of my best memories of 2006 came while in the company of guys from this board. Here's hoping just as many memories are made during 2007.
Good luck to everyone this year... Not much longer and we'll be trolling!

(Since these have been posted here before, I didn't think you guys would mind if I posted them again.)

Robert aboard the Citation

Sampson & Slipknot from aboard the Peggy C (thanks Salty)

Slipknot & Everett aboard Slipknot

Rick@BBW (I believe taken aboard Priorities)

Dave & Amber aboard YoAdrien

Sampson aboard YoAdrien

And lastly... Winni Derby Lake Trout Winner aboard YoAdrien

(Mr. Lavoie (Dad), Ed Kelleher and Adrien)

Re: Re: Why we do this...

Here's hoping I land a twelve pounder this year! Squam, Winni, Newfound... who cares. LOL
My guess is I'll have to wait for the Ontario trip to break into double digits.

Ohhhh Ricccckkkkkyyyyy

Did you mean this one... LOL

Re: Ohhhh Ricccckkkkkyyyyy

So, how do you pull that off with photography slipknot? Salmon fishing right around the corner....I can not wait! So much Ice though where to go on April 1st! Combat fishing along the public docks can't wait!
Dan

Re: Re: Ohhhh Ricccckkkkkyyyyy

Photography lessons from our friend once known as "Landlocked on Squam"...

Ohhhh

thats the one - never did post a weight !!? i had to squeeze the truth from an old donkey

Re: Ohhhh

Ok I have to ask where the Donkey saying came from Maybe Dave(LOL) can chime in?

Erin

Re: Re: Ohhhh

Ok I'll chime in but I gurantee it is not going to happen again this year LMAO After meeting my good friend Mr. Sampson at the gathering last year, I was invited to go fishing with him on Squam a week or two after Ice-Out, I had caught salmon on winni and other lakes before then, but was in no way, shape, or form expecting the size of salmon i encountered on Squam, though the action is not at all like Winni and can be rather slow most of the time with few if any hits, there is def. Quality in that lake. After John had caught the 1st salmon of the day it was my turn. Downrigger goes off It's yours Dave Grab it!!! I grab the rod and hold on Wow!!!!!!!! this is unreal!!!!!! fish comes out of the water LOL Dave almost S____s his pants now i got a little nervous, not used to these fishing poles and these reels, like a dummy when the fish first comes to the boat see's the net and runs i get even more nervous and tighten the drag ever so lightly UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH on the next try of netting because i had tightened the drag when he/she got next to the boat and decided to run again Guess What????? Yup Snap Oh No!!!!!!!!!!! I just lost the biggest Salmon i had ever hooked into I wanted to crawl in a hole and Die, of course it didn't help matters none when Big John says "Dave, That was the biggest Salmon I have ever seen come to the side of my boat UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh this coming from a guy who has fished the lake for more then a few years and has def. seen his share of Big Fish. Worst Day of my fishing life LOL so that is how i learned a most valuable lesson (Never, Never, Never touch another person's drag on their boat LOL) which will never happen to me again, that how i got the nickname for almost all of last season until Adrian helped me get rid of it with my Big Laker (I never touched the drag on that one even though another guy on the boat that day said "tighten the Drag" I looked back at him and said "the only guy that is gonna tighten this Drag is the Boss of the mighty Yo-Adrian LOL) This is where LOL Donkey Dave "The Dumb Frenchman" originated Hope this story made you laugh cause all it did was give me Salmonitis worse then i already had it UGHHHHHHHHHh Hurry Up Ice-Out!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless LOL Dave From up North (The former Donkey, but still the Dumb Frenchman LMAO)

Re: Re: Re: Ohhhh

Dave Great story and yes it was Funny.Thanks for explaining the DONKEY for me I will never ask you about it again I promises.I know all about losing big fish I was fishing up on the oswego river in New York one thanksgiving weekend back in the eighty's and hooked a brown trout on a 6 lb leader that went 15+ lbs had it 1/2 way on the net and I drop my rod tip down thinking it way going to go in the net WRONG line snaped fish gone HEAVY whinng for the rest of the day,months,years.I haven't come close to a brown that big again.Thanks again for the story.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Donkey

Must have been hard to tell that story, Dave.
Hope it helped.

Kind of reminded me of that Wayne Newton song:
"Donkey Shame. Darling, Donkey Shame . Thank you for all the joy and pain" .

Sorry. Couldn't help using that one.

You just gotta get back in the saddle and get him this year, eh.

I've got a story.

Back in the 70's i was living on a lake in sturbridge for awhile. my neighbor showed me how to troll little wet flies ( black knats, rat-faced irresistables, coachmen, etc.) for trout. My dad came to visit , and i thought i'd show him. He was a city kid ( paterson, nj) and I don't think he had ever fished except for those bottom-fishing party boats off the jersey shore. Well, we got out there and i got him on a trout. but the more he reeled, it seemed, the further the fish got away. yeah. i had screwed up and forgot to set the drag. lost that one but there was excitement and still time and hope. a few minutes later we hooked up again, and my dad had him coming toward the boat. he was so excited. But i hadn't prepared him for the next step in the process. The more excited he got, the faster he reeled. i swear, he never stopped reeling. the trout came out of the water, up to the rod tip and hurtled off into space. If it wasn't so sad ( he never hooked up again ), it would have been funny. I think of that day once in awhile. It always makes me sad.

Hey Rick

I did come clean on that picture... way back when...

We posted a pic of the same fish in a horizontal hold on the bragging board. It was 21.5" and just under five pounds. Nice plump fish!
That was the day I learned how to make a fish grow, via trick photography, from master photographer John Sampson. Hahaha... memories.

Re: Hey Rick

i dont know pics fishy stories fishy

next thing ya know paris hilton is holding your trout

Re: Re: Hey Rick

I will have to take photoshop classes.
hahaha... I need a copy of that Paris Hilton pic.

Re: Re: Re: Hey Rick

I would like to see that picture also!!!!

Erin

I'm Bringing Sexy Rick back

For those who don't know this is Rick and Paris. That is Rick's Secret Furry Bag (faux fur of course) and paris is trying to steal all of it's secrets, she kept sweet talking Rick telling him how big it was and how good it felt, you know the fish and catching it, but rick held on tight.

Re: I'm Bringing Sexy Rick back

LOL... still funny...

Original post

OK... here's the original post about that salmon of mine. Somewhere in time it changed from the 4 lbs 9 oz in my post to 4.9 lbs on the bragging board? I made the mistake of writing the weight above according to what was on the bragging board, as I honestly couldn't remember. Thanks for keeping me in line Rick. LOL

Here's the original from June 11 of last year.

"OK an email has been sent to AJ... he's going to post a different photo (which looks more realistic) of this "football" salmon. In all reality this fish was 4lbs 9ozs... but the killer... it was only 21 1/2 inches. What a fatty. He jumped many times while bringing him in and was smart enough to stay in the prop wash trying to shake the hook. I didn't see it myself, but when John netted it he said I was VERY lucky to have landed it as the hook basically fell out in the net.
We had another on earlier in the day that had to have been bigger! I never saw the fish, but will swear that I have never seen one of those "yellow rods" bend so much at a hit... and stay just as bent until it shook the hook. That fish was instantly taking line off the reel and didn't look back. AND no it wasn't bottom."

Re: Original post

YOAdrein GREAT PHOTO LMAO thanks for the laugh!! Slipnot what a nice fish and to lose another the same day WOW Sounds like a great day of fishing.

Erin

src="http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/brown_boat/Dennis_Quabbin_Laker1_4_06.jpg" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">