Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dublin NH

ahhh yes about time yet another humorous post from the infamous Mr.w-fat ..thanks for the laughs.
Bob
Fish-hunter

w-fat
I too appreciate your humor.You have to give your "daughter's mother" credit if she knows enough to pull a wheelbarrow vs push it.
I was curious about the benefit of steel line vs lead core in your opinion?
Thanks
Richard

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

B-Man & I hit Dublin Lake for 6 hrs. today. Only boat on the water. Saw alot of bait, picked up 10 brookies 12-14", fish were on the slim side. Released all. Most came on rod jiggers-125' of steel line, warden worry, and spofford smelt flies. I was hoping to hit winni this week but a little short on $$$ as I had to buy a custom built wheelbarrow. The daughters mother has Morgan Show Horses. And the wheelbarrow she has at the barn now she can't get her butt between the handles. So I got her one that fits for her birthday. Till Next Time. W-Fat

Re: Re: Dublin NH

Fishrod1 Most guys & gals from the Keene area use steel. I like it its a little less drag than lead, and I use it mostly with flies. You have to be a little careful with it sometimes it will kink not often enough to be concerned. My daughter has used it since she was 7, no swett. It takes a little less space up on the reel, we use to put 600' on a 1498 medalist fly reel. Several guys still use martin reels with 3 to 1. with the steel. Ora Smith one of the old well known fly tiers from our area used to mark it every 50' He just recently passed away at the age of 94. Now that we have down riggers very few people put on more than 300' on a reel. Also I have it on line counter reels it works well. Strings used to mark it and sell it when he had his store. Now we buy it at Frencheys Bait shop in Keene all marked at about $22.00 for 300'. When we used to jig all day by hand any less drag was a plus.

The $$ have been sent to F&G for the moose permit and the wife has agreed to be the SUB. and do the shooting. I sighted in the new scope today. The wifes Encore is ready. Now I'll start to scout and put together a recovery team. Still alot of fishing left!! Till next Time (TnT) w-fat 10-2

Re: Re: Re: Dublin NH

w-fat
Thanks for the explanation on the steel line. I have a couple 1498's and a martin 3:1 and many line counter reels.
You must know how many ft out = how many ft down like lead core? Does your 1498 reel in fast enough when you have a lot of wire out? Also, how is the steel on your rod tip guides?
I would ask for your daughters mothers # except that horses and boats would be two, too deep holes to throw my money in!
Thanks
Richard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dublin NH

fishrod1: The 1 to 1 of the 1498 was a pain thats why I got the Diawa line counters. And retired the 98s to sinking fly line and 12lb lead for on top early at winni, and quite often on Spofford. The guides hold up pretty well to the steel, you have to fish alot more than I do to ware them out. The steel sinks within a couple FT. of what Lead does. Maybe a little deeper. T.n.T. w-fat

dont you guys believe a word w-fat says about his daughters mother. this woman is built like women you see in penthouse. she is sweet as candy, and has the best dispositon of any woman i have ever met. that said, hey fat are you going to let the little lady shoot the moose? if you want ill be right there yelling shoot over her shoulder like you were when my wife got her moose. strings

Re: Re: Dublin NH

ouch! i must admit you 2 are better than me, cuz there's no way in hells i'd put a gun in my wife's hands..hell that would mean she'd actually have to go hunting with me and that just won't happen!!
Bob