Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

I've caught male salmon that have squared tails. They're not all forked

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

Just look at Salty's on the home page if you want to see a square tail salmon.
Cal

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

Who knows what's in Winni or how they got there, all I know is Fish and Game do not put any Browns in any Salmon Lakes, except one (maybe more) of the Connectticut Lakes and it's done for that reason they can be hard to tell the difference, allthough it shouldn't be that hard.

John S.

Replying to:

Just look at Salty's on the home page if you want to see a square tail salmon.
Cal

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

The biggest problem that we have here as sportsman and Woman is if people start to "think" there are Browns in Winni we are all going to see our great fishery take a hard hit. People will keep Salmon as "browns" all year round not knowing what they have caught!!! That is the fear I have! Furthermore I have been fishing the lake for many years and have never caught one, I did however catch a Brook Tout once. I'm not saying there is NO way there has ever been a Brown in Winni I am saying that if you start this type of chatter you might as well kiss our fishery good bye!

My 2 cnets

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

And I think White Perch Assasin words say it all, If in doubt "Please release the Fish" God know's it took me long enough to finally start catching fish on winni I surely don't want to see the fishery hurt. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

From Ice Shanty.com

This is what F & G said about browns in Winni.

Hi James

We purposely do not stock any waters in the Winnipesaukee watershed with brown trout, due to the identification of the brown trout and the similarities with landlocked salmon. That being said, in nature it is impossible to say with a 100% certainty that some brown trout at Powder Mill Hatchery may "jump the racks" into the pools of rainbow trout that eventually may be destined for Lake Winnipesaukee. These chances are slim indeed as fish culturists often keep the pools segregated from different species.

Good luck out there!

Don Miller

Donald Miller
Large Lake Fisheries Biologist
New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
Region 2
New Hampton NH 03256
(603) 744-5470
donald.miller@wildlife.nh.gov

It shouldn't hurt the fishery thyat much if someone keeps a Salmon thinking it's a Brown as the Season is April 1st to September 30th, for all Trout and Salmon in any Salmon/Trout lake, period.

But I suppose if they keep one when ice fishing, thinking it's a Brown, it might have some impact ????

Like Miller said and I read it somewhere else myself, I looked and couldn't find it again, but I know I read it. They purposely do not mix these two fish in Lakes because of the identification problem. Sure an occaisional Brown or Brook trout could be put in by mistake, but I think it's more an identification problem.

In the rule book (pg 67) it explains the difference between adult Salmon and Brown, check it out, there are several very easily recognised differences. The tail is not really "forked" on a Salmon, but it is not squared and has pointy tips where a Brown has more rounded tips. But the easiest things to spot are upper jaw on a Brown extends well behind the eye and the upper jaw on the Salmon does not go past the eye. Reddish/Orange Adipose fin on the Brown, spots on the Dorsal fin on the Brown, etc.

I would say if you had the two side by side, the difference would be very obvious.

Accidents do happen, but hows the saying go "ignorance of the laws is no excuse". Anyone caught with a fish they are not supposed to have will loose their license period. So we should know what we are fishing for.

Being bored all winter I read the rule book a few times, lol. Boy does that book need some work on better clarification of many statements and rules.

John S.

Replying to:

The biggest problem that we have here as sportsman and Woman is if people start to "think" there are Browns in Winni we are all going to see our great fishery take a hard hit. People will keep Salmon as "browns" all year round not knowing what they have caught!!! That is the fear I have! Furthermore I have been fishing the lake for many years and have never caught one, I did however catch a Brook Tout once. I'm not saying there is NO way there has ever been a Brown in Winni I am saying that if you start this type of chatter you might as well kiss our fishery good bye!

My 2 cnets

"I would say if you had the two side by side, the difference would be very obvious."

Thank you John Sampson.

The above scenario was exactly what happen the last time I caught a brown in Winni; fishing in the spring caught (3) LL salmon & (1) brown and when you have them side by side in spring colors (silver!) the differnce is obvious. yes, I was surprised to catch a brownie out of Winni.

As far as confusing browns & salmon and harming the fishery let me tell you I've seen a lot of people that confused rainbow trout (silver phase) w/ salmon & vice versa. In fact I've seen people that confused fallfish in their spawning colors w/ rainbow trout.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

I personally feel that NH F&G should pick one of the larger lakes designated as a salmon lake (not located in Pittsburgh, NH.) and make it into a trophy brown trout fishery. Brown trout have a much better chance of reaching trophy size(8 lbs. plus)than an Atlantic Salmon does. Any doubt on this, check out the Finger Lakes in NY and see the pig browns they catch out of them(10lbs plus are not that rare). I've caught a 7lb brown out of Ossippee about 8 years ago but have never hooked another one since. I love to fish for salmon but as I continue to hone my skills I find myself wanting a shot at catching bigger fish and not as many numbers. I feel browns could afford us this opportunity in NH., if given the chance. I feel that our state is now stocked to produce numbers and not size. That's my experience on Winni. the last 3-4 years. Overall, I'm not saying numbers are a bad thing. I just wish we had more lakes managed for trophy fish and not every large lake HAS TO have salmon as it's primary stocked fish. I hope F&G reads this site and I'm interested to see if I'm the only person that feels this way.

Thanks,
Chris

Fish and Game realize what you are saying, they give the anglers what they want and most Winni people want NUMBERS. If we want bigger fish in Winni they will have to drasticaly reduce the stocking rate, any mention of this and I'm sure it would cause a major riot.

There are some lakes that are managed as trophy lakes, Squam Lake being one of them and Sunapee has a good number of bigger fish, Winnisquam has somewhat a reduced stocking rate of Salmon. Winni gets tons of fish and that's what it seems most people want.

I do agree with you 100% that a GOOD Brown Trout Lake
is an excellent idea, if biologicaly possible and doable. I'm sure if you or anyone was to start a petition or some way to make your desires known, you would be heard.

John S.

Replying to:

I personally feel that NH F&G should pick one of the larger lakes designated as a salmon lake (not located in Pittsburgh, NH.) and make it into a trophy brown trout fishery. Brown trout have a much better chance of reaching trophy size(8 lbs. plus)than an Atlantic Salmon does. Any doubt on this, check out the Finger Lakes in NY and see the pig browns they catch out of them(10lbs plus are not that rare). I've caught a 7lb brown out of Ossippee about 8 years ago but have never hooked another one since. I love to fish for salmon but as I continue to hone my skills I find myself wanting a shot at catching bigger fish and not as many numbers. I feel browns could afford us this opportunity in NH., if given the chance. I feel that our state is now stocked to produce numbers and not size. That's my experience on Winni. the last 3-4 years. Overall, I'm not saying numbers are a bad thing. I just wish we had more lakes managed for trophy fish and not every large lake HAS TO have salmon as it's primary stocked fish. I hope F&G reads this site and I'm interested to see if I'm the only person that feels this way.

Thanks,
Chris

I agree with John. People in large do want quantity over quality of fish. Theoretically both could be done with perhaps an increase in the minimum length limit. I've heard a few folks mention length limits before and there very well may be a reason the idea has not been taken more seriously. I've thought for a couple of years that the minimum size for rainbow trout should be changed to 17 or 18 inches too. I'm with you Chris, I'd prefer to catch fewer and bigger fish. We just happen to be in the minority.

I am, as if my previous posts weren't clear, against the introduction of brown trout into Lake Winnipesaukee. I feel like a protective parent of this lake and the salmon are my kids (kindof a corny analogy). There are certainly many other species of fish that are misidentified for others too. I just know how salmon are such suckers through the ice and are by law not to be taken out of the water. Now looking at a fish's head, can you be sure what you're heaving out of the water is one species or another? If all of a sudden anglers are thinking they have a brown trout, that fish is now out of the water with a possible hook would and being a fragile fish anyways. Rainbow trout consequently have a pinkish stripe down the side.

I have emailed fish and game to get their take on whether or not there are any waterways stocked with Brown trout that lead into Winni. I will never claim to know every nook and cranny so it's possible that might be how one got in or perhaps a couple got in with a salmon stocking? Also I asked if there have been any documented browns caught and if there were pictures as well.

By the way does anyone know how many salmon are currently stocked in Winni? Rainbows too? Thanks all.

Tibbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

Depends on the size they come from the hatchery, they stock by the "pound", bigger fish less fish go in. I think it's normally 20,000+, but last year they were smaller so it could have been 25,000 or more. No clue on the Bows.

They tried longer length on Squam and it did not work out, reduced stocking rates are the best way and I would never want to be the person suggestting that for Winni, they would lynch you fer sure, lol.

Salmon upper jaw does not go beyond the eye and a Brown goes well past the eye, similar to large and Smallouth Bass. But I don't know if you could tell he difference in the hole as I don't ice fish at all anymore. When I did years ago, we didn't really catch any fish, just sat on a milk crate, drank Brandy and had a hell of a time, fish or not.

John S.

Replying to:

I agree with John. People in large do want quantity over quality of fish. Theoretically both could be done with perhaps an increase in the minimum length limit. I've heard a few folks mention length limits before and there very well may be a reason the idea has not been taken more seriously. I've thought for a couple of years that the minimum size for rainbow trout should be changed to 17 or 18 inches too. I'm with you Chris, I'd prefer to catch fewer and bigger fish. We just happen to be in the minority.

I am, as if my previous posts weren't clear, against the introduction of brown trout into Lake Winnipesaukee. I feel like a protective parent of this lake and the salmon are my kids (kindof a corny analogy). There are certainly many other species of fish that are misidentified for others too. I just know how salmon are such suckers through the ice and are by law not to be taken out of the water. Now looking at a fish's head, can you be sure what you're heaving out of the water is one species or another? If all of a sudden anglers are thinking they have a brown trout, that fish is now out of the water with a possible hook would and being a fragile fish anyways. Rainbow trout consequently have a pinkish stripe down the side.

I have emailed fish and game to get their take on whether or not there are any waterways stocked with Brown trout that lead into Winni. I will never claim to know every nook and cranny so it's possible that might be how one got in or perhaps a couple got in with a salmon stocking? Also I asked if there have been any documented browns caught and if there were pictures as well.

By the way does anyone know how many salmon are currently stocked in Winni? Rainbows too? Thanks all.

Tibbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

LOL. You know some days I should have stayed home and watched football or hockey rather than freeze my butt off. Thanks for information John. Very interesting to learn they stock them by the pound. I was going to guess around 20,000 salmon. I asked about rainbows because I figured with the increased fishing for them, especially durin the Meredith Rotary fishing derby that they could perhaps stock a few more or even a few larger fish. And yes I concur we could be lynched for suggesting fewer salmon be stocked. I am with you, would rather see less, bigger fish stocked. Would certainly test our luck and our salmon fishing IQs. Though not sure I want my salmon intelligence put to the test. Could damage a man's ego. lol.

Tibbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

If you want to go for maybe bigger fish then try Sunapee or Squam, allthough this years netting results showed some bigger Salmon from Winni ????

I like numbers, but bigger is better, as they say.

John S.

Replying to:

LOL. You know some days I should have stayed home and watched football or hockey rather than freeze my butt off. Thanks for information John. Very interesting to learn they stock them by the pound. I was going to guess around 20,000 salmon. I asked about rainbows because I figured with the increased fishing for them, especially durin the Meredith Rotary fishing derby that they could perhaps stock a few more or even a few larger fish. And yes I concur we could be lynched for suggesting fewer salmon be stocked. I am with you, would rather see less, bigger fish stocked. Would certainly test our luck and our salmon fishing IQs. Though not sure I want my salmon intelligence put to the test. Could damage a man's ego. lol.

Tibbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

If the netting results are true then I must have been fishing the wrong part of Winni! I do remember you saying and posting pictures of some nice looking salmon from Squam. Are the figures for Fall netting on F&G's website? I also would like to thank you again for the downrigger boom you sent me for my Cannon mini-mag. Although I have yet to find the time to put it on I will certainly be grateful that I have it come late spring. Let's hope for the warmer temps and I at least would like to see a good run off so salmon fishing in the Smith River in the Wolfeboro area will be dynamite. In other words, let the snow melt but not all at once.

Tibbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

I don't think you will find it on the F and G web site, John Viar usually sends it to the Winni web site and AJ oast it. Or you can e mail F and G and they will send it to you. I have it and if I can find it, I'll send it along, but it is public record.

Which boom did I send you, the 24" or 36", I still have 2 spare booms, 1 of the 24" I will give with my now sold riggers as a spare, if you have the 36" one I'll hold it for you or anyone else that might need one.

John S.

Replying to:

If the netting results are true then I must have been fishing the wrong part of Winni! I do remember you saying and posting pictures of some nice looking salmon from Squam. Are the figures for Fall netting on F&G's website? I also would like to thank you again for the downrigger boom you sent me for my Cannon mini-mag. Although I have yet to find the time to put it on I will certainly be grateful that I have it come late spring. Let's hope for the warmer temps and I at least would like to see a good run off so salmon fishing in the Smith River in the Wolfeboro area will be dynamite. In other words, let the snow melt but not all at once.

Tibbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WINNI ?

John, any word on that Otter Boat? JoeG