Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Marine Radio Question

VHF marine radios have their own band of frequencies which are different than your so called walk-a-round frequencies, family radios.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gus

The hand held Marine radio that was given to me also has a warning: "To be used on water only"???
Louis

Yes, I've been looking at Standard Horizon handhelds this week and on one of the sites I was browsing there was bold letters saying for use on water only, use on land was punishable by $10,000 fine for first offense. I guess it can cause interference with others using that band on land.

A long time ago all VHF marine radios were required to be license by FCC for about 1 hundred buck for 5 years. The FCC has since allowed VHF marine radios to be used on water with out a license for safety reason. All base stations (land) are required to be license.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gus

Thanks for the input guys. Now I know I did the installation correctly. See you on the water soon!

Snokin Turtle