Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Tubbs Maiden Voyage

Thanks Charlie, God know's we put enough hours into her when we rebuilt her, scuffed up her paint a little yesterday when we went to look at the docks where we are staying in the weirs, but i think they will buff out. Only got one issue to fix, she is steering hard as H-LL, while trolling with the kicker which is attached to the big outboard, we basically have to have 2 hands on the steering wheel in order to turn either way its that hard!!!! makes coming into a dock pretty iffy at times. Hopefully we can get it figured out before Derby time gets here Nice talking to ya yesterday and the Grady is looking SWEET!!! Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Got booted off again, grrrrrrrrr.

The Tub does really look great Dave and Rob.

But the radio lacks some power, nothing like the old "WRKO" booming voice of the north that we are used to.

Had to turn the volume up to pull ya out ???? You're louder yelling over the side of the boat, it brought in some engine noise as well, but not that bad. Get it fixed for the Derby.

Too bad it was such a slow day.

Big John

Yeah we figured out it's the spring inside the inline fuse that seems to be worn out, played with it a little and then we came in loud and clear on another guys radio so def. need to fix that, now if we can fix the hard steering problem we should be all set to go, hopefully we can get it scared away before derby weekend, otherwise the tubb might end up with a few more scratches, Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Dave : Talk to Throbbin Rods about the steering.He might have the hot setup for that problem. Cal P.

THROBBIN RODS What's the HOT set up???

Any help would greatly be appreciated, took off the tilt tube today cleaned all the old grease off put new grease, improved a little but not much, when we took the steering arm off the motor moved nice and easy but with the new grease and steering arm put back on, same problem UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH now we are starting to think it might be the Rack and pinion Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated Thanks a million LOL Dave

Re: THROBBIN RODS What's the HOT set up???

LOL Dave
Any help would greatly be appreciated, took off the tilt tube today cleaned all the old grease off put new grease, improved a little but not much, when we took the steering arm off the motor moved nice and easy but with the new grease and steering arm put back on, same problem UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH now we are starting to think it might be the Rack and pinion Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated Thanks a million LOL Dave

Dave

If it was me Dave I would go with a whole new steering system and get that old set up out of the tubb. It sounds like it has lived its life. I replaced mine on the great lakes when I upgraded to a 115 HP Evinrude and was blown away with the results of the ease of steering and the no feed back design. The cost of the teleflex system can run anywhere from $159.00 to $ 179.00 Depending on what you need. My installation was a little bit tough but managed to get it done its a two man job for sure. Here is a youtube video you can check out Cabelas has these systems on there site with extra info. cut and paste link hopes this helps,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4B0eSHiIzM

C.C.

Thanks Charlie, I'm Actually going to check out a new steering set up today, and your right it is a 2 man job, what a pain getting that thing out of the tilt tube UGHHHHHHH Take care god bless LOL Dave

I had steering issues with the sea nymph when I had it.I removed the steering cable from the motor,turned the moter it moved easily,turned the steering wheel it moved easily.Found the bore of the motor where the steering shaft goes in was full of rust.I bought a small hone(like they use for honing brake cylinders)I cleaned that puppy right out and greased it up good put it back together and it was great.The key is motor turned easy disconnected and the steering wheel turned easily when disconnected this elimanated both of those as the source of the binding.good luck.polebreaker

Dave,
I replaced a steering system a few years back and it made all the difference. That is all I know about that so I will shu tup about mechanical issues. As far as your lack of fish...remember this beautiful piece of advice, "Never Leave Fish To Find Fish." It is often hard to adhere to but it is great advice. If you hit in Centre Harbor.....stay there. As far as the rest of your releases it sound like late last year when the salmon seemed to be short biting. This could be a good sign that things are about to turn around on the big pond. Towards the end of last season the bite was absolutely fantastic, then the short bites happenes then th bite was gone. I am hoping that the spring will happen in reverse!
Good Luck with the TUBB!