Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trolling Socks

I have the same boat with the 4.3L. I bought the "Happy Troller" trolling plate. It works great and gets you to the right speed. Just don't forget to raise it before you hit the throttle.

I have been using socks for 4 years and have found that using the sock looped through a cable ski harness attached to the stern loops works best. I use the 26" cabelas blue vinyl sock. I have a 250 hp 4 stroke motor that idles at 3.2 mph. I could get it down to 1,2 before it ripped on me last year. I am going to try the wave tamer system this year and if it does not work I will go back to the ski harness off the stern loops. believe it or not but I have only gotten tangled up a couple of times in it. I would much rather have kicker pushing me around but the way the stern of my boat is laid out makes it impossible with out major alterations.

Check out this link
(copy & paste)http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/fishing_tips/drift_control_tips/trolling_drift_bags.shtml

Check out the website for Amish Outfitters - great trolling bags. Give Frank there a call and I'm sure he'll help you correctly size bags for yor boat.

I have been using the Cabela's brand since 1998. I actually have 2 different sizes but use the ones rated for 20ft boat 99% of the time. I have 190hsp Volvo Penta. I run one on each side of the boat tieing off at the bow rail and the stern cleat which makes for quick removal shoud you get a good fish to the side of the boat. I do not know if true or not but a charter captain on Lake O told me always run one on each side of the boat. If you don't you can end up with damage in the outdrive.

We use 1 cabelas sock for a 20 ft boat when it gets really knarly out, right off the side. I generally don't put one out if the water is fairly calm. I can get down to 1.5 using just 1 of the twin 140 on the boat.

My charter captain on lake O had a 27 ft penn yan, he would always use one sock unless it was nasty out then he would go to 2 socks. I chartered with him for a good half dozen years, he taught me everything I needed to know to fish the big O and thats how he ran the socks till he retired.