(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: learn from my mistake

steelfire
I was heading out fishing the other morning to quabbin reservoir in mass at 05:30. I made a quick pit stop with the boat at a local dunkin doughnuts for a quick cup of coffee. I had my cabellas super tackle bag and rods in the bed of my truck so as not to have anyting break while bouncing in the back of my 19'islander for the long trip to Quabbin. I went in and stood in line while looking out the window every few seconds watching my boat. paid the lady and came out and my tackle bag was stolen. Gone in less than 3 minutes. It was that fast. 20 years of buying tackle, probably 3 grand worth gone in 3 minutes!!! learn from my mistake,LOCK everything up. no matter what. I saw two guys sitting in a beat up truck in the parking lot.... i'm looking for them.

It’s a fear we all have, that sucks. I have all my gear insured as most of us do and hopefully none of us will never have to use the insurance.. I honestly think most fisherman are dishonest when it comes to bragging, lol, but I doubt any fisherman would steal from another fisherman, if they did and we caught them, we would use their private parts for bait.

I have photos of all my equipment and gear, downriggers, etc. on file. I take most of my spoons and rods off the boat so in case someone needs my gear more than I do at least at 5:00 am I will have something to fish with. I have security cameras at my dock and seriously considered wiring up the boat with an electric charge, but for fear I would forget to shut it down when I came in the early morning, I opted to hold off.

Unfortunately, theft is going to become more and more common with all the economy troubles around us and people out of work.

Last year when gas was high we had a few of our construction trailers broke into only to take the gas cans, one time they could not get the door open so they stole truck trailer and all, emptied the trailer and left truck and trailer on the side of the road. So we now have security cameras everywhere, still had problems once after that, even with it on film, nobody could be indentified, hooded sweatshirts should be banned, lol.

Hope you get the bums.

Big John

Thanks. i hope I find them too. its not so much the stuff I can replace but the lures and plugs that I use that you can't buy anymore. I spoke to my home owners insurance today and they may cover it. I guess it has a lot to do with the bad economy too. A few weeks ago I was on a fire call to a rough neighbor hood and we actually had someone steel an extinguisher off the truck while we in the house putting out a stove fire.

what gate was that at ? i fish gate 31 (main gate).

ok, that was at dunkin donuts sorry

I was headed to gate 8 to run some of Chappys spoons.

did you end up still getting out? i live about 25 minutes from gate 8 and was thinking of going and renting a boat and runing the leadcores. i havent heard a report from there in a long time.

and with the whole stealing thing we have had plenty of people try to steal out of the ambulances and i even had my stethescope stolen from the dash of the truck by a junky. (cops got it back for me a few hours later)

i hope you find the guys that did this. what area was the dunkins in. that way we can all check out craigslist.

The Gardner Ma Area. If it was the two that I think it was that were watching me, I don't think they could even spell Craig's list. Worst part was I had about 40 or so Baby junior thundersticks. My best top water lure for landlocks at Quabbin. They don't make them anymore and they go for about 25 bucks a piece now on E bay.

Steelfire,

As I mentioned to you I feel your pain. My flipsider full of bass stuff was lifted from my boat last year on our way to Joe Glowick's "Kyle's Derby". It was a very tough time. Luckily it wasn't my trolling tackle box but still there was a lot of stuff as a flipsider is a big bag and the bag itself was my first father's day gift.

I will do my best to make your pain subside. I will break open my streamer box and will send you a few dozen trout / salmon streamers to help. As with any grief time will heal wounds. Also getting your tackle bax to snuff and catching fish will help.

Chappy.

I won a tackle box in the derby that you are welcome to have.

Salty

Thanks salty, i'll be OK. I am blessed that I can afford to slowly rebuild my stuff. I think my wife and my son and I are going to take a road trip tomorow up to AJ's to pick up a few top guns and smelt guns. Thank you, I appreciate the offer though. And thank you also Chappy!! its people like you guys that make this site so great!!

sorry to hear of your losts.I will let rod flaggS and R & R SPORTING GOODS NO.They see a lot of used tackle That people want to sell.i will tie you up some streamer's and make you some of jim's LURES to try.send me your address so i can the streamers & lures jim's lures

that's a great idea...tell rodney flagg of flagg's fly shop on rt. 202 orange ma., to be on the lookout... i know him well and he is a great guy. maybe even give him a call at his shop.

I Lived in Gardner for 2 years and work there fulltime on the ambulance. i also fish that area a lot. if i see someone with lures i know they normally wouldnt have i will get the plate number. what kind of bag was it? color,brand? trust me when i say this Gardner is full of people like this and it has nothing to do with the economy!

Scotty D
I Lived in Gardner for 2 years and work there fulltime on the ambulance. i also fish that area a lot. if i see someone with lures i know they normally wouldnt have i will get the plate number. what kind of bag was it? color,brand? trust me when i say this Gardner is full of people like this and it has nothing to do with the economy!

Scotty, I must know you because I work full time on the fire department. I'm sure I must have worked with you at some scene. It was a forest Green Cabelas super magnum bag. It had 12 plastic bins inside of it filled with every lure known to mankind for fishing trout and landlocked salmon. A very big collection of top gun and db smelt and smelt gun lures. Also lots of streamers and trolling flys. Flashers, rebel, rapala and storm plugs. just to name a few.....

J.R.
that's a great idea...tell rodney flagg of flagg's fly shop on rt. 202 orange ma., to be on the lookout... i know him well and he is a great guy. maybe even give him a call at his shop.

They would have to be pretty dumb to try and sell that stuff at a local tackle shop, but nothing would surprise me. I think most tackle shop owners would spot something not on the up and up in a heartbeat.

Big John

sounds like the same bags we use for the spare ALS gear in the trucks. i will keep my eye out! you got to love this lovely town! i have been here about 5 years so i am sure we have run into eachother a few times lol