Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new to lake winni

if you are starting from scratch, the easiest, least expensive and most successful method for scoring salmon before June is 2-3 colors of leadcore running on inline planer boards pulling whatever spoons AJ recommends to you. This entire spread for 2 lines will run you less than 0.

Other methods would include: downriggers, planer masts and boards or steel and would be considerably more expensive.

Your boat will need to troll at less than 2.5 mph and thus may need a sea anchor (parachute) or a pair of 5 gallon buckets to slow it down.

Is this a registered derby? Careful, fish and game frequent this forum. Any tournament or derby must be registered. For salmon it is a very difficult thing to get a permit for in this state. Most are grandfathered in and they generally don't allow any new ones.

Now for the fishing. Lead line trolled at 2MPH behind the boat with 2-3 colors out and about a 60 foot 10 pound leader ending with about 12-15 feet of a 4-6 pound flouro leader.

Buckets will slow you down as needed to the 2MPH range. Most boats need to be slowed down so if you don't have them get them. GPS? if you have one bring it with you so you can measure your speed at the very least.

Go to AJs and he will set you up with the right lures. Skip the walmart trip for this. Don't waste your time or money. Local bait shops such as AJs in Meredith are your only real chance at getting the right lures and information. They can actually set you up with some already rigged leadcore setups as well.

Please educate yourself about safe releases of fish as there is a somewhat urgent problem of fish with hook damage. A rubber net and care when unhooking / releasing will keep the fishery healthy.

Good luck and have fun!

Hey Chris, quick question? Do you happen to work in Nashua off spit brook road? Used to be a small Company got bought last year? IF you are this person email me or respond on this tread I live in gilford fish the lake every weekend I'll take you out. If not do what I did book a charter with Coolwater or any of the other guides listed here. Money well spent!! Thought they were full of BS I'd read through this forum they'd claim numbers of fish caught I'd think ya right I was out the same day caught nadda.. Fishing with anyone of the guides listed will OPEN your eyes !!! And make your trips out on the lake more productive..

Go to AJ's great guy wealth of knowledge.. Oh and bring your CC he'll hook you up..

Tom

From Scott D, " There are a lot more knowledgeable people on here than I am."

-Scott

I can attest to that fact!

But seriously, just read this board and you'll learn alot.