Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kicker Motors

i would stick with evinrude or mercury. i have heard the little evinrudes are now actually made by suzuki and i kind of believ it because the troll master model number for evinrude and suzuki are the same. dont know if merc is made by someone else but ive had great luck over the years with my 91 merc 115 and a merc would be my first choice. the reason i pick these two motors is that parts are everywhere in newengland, you can get parts for the others but it may be a drive or a longer wait. i would also pick a motor and year from the troll master chart as that thing is one of the best upgrades to a troling boat. my kicker has no charging system, my next one will, im currently running a 1989 6hp evinrude on the lobster boat which moves the heavey boat fine.
link to trollmaster application guide
http://www.troll-masterpro.com/DrawOnePage.aspx?PageID=4

Bill, My Evinrude runs great. Suzuki does make them.

Salty

doing a search and found that some of the little mercs are made by yamaha. so if you buy a merc or evinrude/johnson you can scratch yams and suzukis off the list. go with the big names with decades of service and parts would be my choice

I have a 2 year old Merc 4-stroke 9.9. It is a decent motor that I purchased for about 0 less than the comparable Honda. If I was to rebuy I would gladly spend the extra money for the Honda. The Honda is hands down quieter, smoother running and MUCH easier to start when cold. No problems on parts for them at Melvin Village.

I've got a 2000 8hp 4 stroke honda and one pull and she starts every time even the first time after winter.

I'm running a 5 HP Honda and I am quite happy with it. No more 2 stroke stink and its smooth and quiet. In fact the only thing that is smoother and quieter is my 50 HP honda main motor.

I've got a 1987 Mariner 15hp and it starts first pull all the time,runs smooth as a baby's bottom.Proper maintenance is the key!!!

I am running a 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha which is more hp than I need but the free price tag was definitely right. When the time comes that this has to returned to its rightful owner I am looking into either a Johnson/Evinrude (made by Suzuki) or a Honda, probably 8hp. After running this solid for the last two weeks it runs great just not as smooth as I would like. Also I will go to electric start with a charging system and the electronic throttle control. I found I had difficulty getting dialed in exactly with the hand throttle. Just my 2 cents.