Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Absolute Beginner

what species of fish are you seeking Mike? Different species require different methods and bait.
I'll answer what Q's I can and I am sure others will chime in as well.

Tibbs

what is it you want to fish for, with the cheap rod, you can just add some lures for the bass. keep it simple with some rubber worms and maybe a few top waters like a jitterbug. go to real takle shops like aj's in merideth and paigus bay takle and talk to the owners, they will set you up with all sorts of info. if your going for salmon, almost all of us started with a leadcore setup, either of those stores can set you up with the minimal equipment and some lures and some hot fishing spots on the lake. hiring a guide will take years of the learning curve, but you can always do it the hard way like alot of us did with lots of time on the water. some of us just like being out there and the fishing is a plus

Yeah some bass would be nice. I've caught a few off my dock. Basically the only method I use is to throw out a worm on a hook with one or two lead sinkers and slowly reel it in. Would lures/rubber worms work just as well?

With bass you won't need any of the trolling gear that is discussed mostly on this site (downriggers, leadcore, levelwind reels, fishfinders with GPS, rod jiggers, etc). You are fine with a simple rod and reel (my preference is with 8# test).

Smallmouth will be found around docks and prefer rocky/sandy bottoms. Largemouth will also be found around docks but prefer weedy/muddy areas. This time of year, smallmouth will bite a bottlecap!

A great beginner bait is the Yammamoto Senko 4inch worm. They are pricey but VERY effective (my son was outfishing me with one when he was 5). Its a "do nothing bait" that you simply cast out, let sink to bottom, wait 30 seconds, bring it in a few feet, wait, bring it in a few feet, wait.....It can be rigged many ways with "Wacky" being easiest for beginners (there is even a wacky rig tool). Texas rigged is next in popularity. You can google senko to get to Yammamotos website and he has explicit instructions for different riggings. I like any color as long as it's black.

Note you will not find better fishing for smallies all year than you will in the next few weeks so get out there now! 100 fish days are not unheard of...

very helpful. What is your opinion on fish scents and other accessories?

no needed on a senko...no weight either. Hook, senko, rod and you WILL score fish.

Note Mike that while there will be some posts for other species such as saltwater posts on cod/haddock/stripers, this site is mostly dedicated to salmon fishing which is tough to get into for "minimum money". Drop me an email and I can direct you to better websites for beginners advice on bass fishing.

Make sure you check out the fishing rules, when bass spawn there's a time of month maybe May 15 to June 15 where only artifical bait is allowed don't quote me on the dates though.