Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Striper report 5/30

Sounds like a great day!
-Kool-Aid

Sounds like your a meat hunter thats what happened in the 70tees now there back and soon to be gone again why keep eight fish ?

It probably was a charter and his clients wanted to keep their LEGAL limit.
Cal

When I go on a charter I'm keeping my legal limit. Two fish. How long have the commercial guys been selling 10 to 30 fish a day. Striper is one of my favorite fish to eat.

Salty

Yes it was a charter but i was told that i couldn't advertise so i did not mention that, that was there limit, that is what they kept, i agree with salty 100%! Capt Pat

Here's a quick question?????? Why is it we only hear from people (is it sportsman???????) that left the message about being a meat hunter???? Why is it the only time we hear from people like yourself on the message board is when your trying to stir the pot?????? If you don't have anything nice to say why say it at all??????? Ughhhhhhhhh I am also the type of fisherman that if I pay the big $$$$$ to go on a deep sea fishing charter I'm gonna keep whatever it is that I am legally allowed to keep. Does that make me a meat hunter????? Yeah I guess it does, but I was also brought up that you don't kill it if you don't plan on eating it So yup I'm a meat killer LOL I shot a chipmunk when I was young and Yes my Dad made me eat it, Tasted like chicked to me Take Care God Bless LOL Dave P.S. GREAT JOB ROOFY!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Dave that "Sportsman" is just stirring the pot. I can only think that someone may be jealous of his boat at his young age or that he is competing with them for Charters. Nice job Pat. Sounds like a good trip for the clients you had.

No not trying to stir pot been fishing the river sense the 70ees when they got wiped out right now if you go out and get fresh bait and drift the river mouth and you don’t catch fish there’s no hope for you try putting up these numbers in August when the fishing gets tough. If it was up to me there would be no commercial sale either I have wrote my legislators for years sounding out against sale. Also it’s up to the captain to make his own rules one fish per person is more then enough to get some meals out of, enjoy the fight use circle hooks and practice catch and release Best of luck for tight lines

I'm not trying to stir the pot here but, there is a concern of the striper population declining. I fish for stripers like it's my job over the spring-fall boating hundreds of stripers. I'm not a guide, I just love to fish for these fish. Although, I didn't keep any last year I do usually keep one a year. I have seen a decline in the population over the last year or so.
I under stand why people want to keep fish if there Paying the big $$$ to go fishing and want to keep there catch. Keep all the fish you want. Just know this, the larger stripers create the most eggs..So mayby next time take home the 28-34inchers and leave the 35-50in fish in the water, after the trophy picture shot of course! Just my 2 cents..

Hi Dan, Now if Sportsman would've explained himself with a little detail like you did, I have no problem with that type of response at all. It's informative plus gives us a little detail of why we might/should practice catch and release. the way he wrote his response it was like he was bad mouthing a fellow fishlakewinni member for trying to make a honest living do what he loves to do. If your going to offer critisism at least make it constructive critisism. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Thanks Dan for helping me out not trying to be a wise guy as insinuated but have lived through the rise and fall and would hate to see it happened again. Sorry if I offended anyone but this post just ruffled me up.
Old Timer who luvs striper fishing.

I look at stripers the same way I do all fresh and inshore salt species in that I catch and release fish if they look like they will survive and eat those that I think will not and are legal. When I bring people with me, I explain:
"you can legally keep "x" number of fish and are welcome to it BUT before you do you should read up on F&G fish consumption guidelines to know what you are eating".

When reading that they see that F&G recommends ONE MEAL per month (8oz) per ADULT (pregnant women and children should stay away. How many months would it take to consume a 30 inch striper at that rate?

I then explain that F&G is essentially saying that our fisheries are "poisoned" by PCBs and other nasties like mercury. Fresh fish is cheaper and safer at the market.

Most people will then decide not to keep any and those who still want to keep them I say "it's your liver" and have no qualms about them keeping their legal limit. This approach is much less confrontational and very effective in getting meat hunters to consider the benefits of CPR (Catch Photo Release).

Other than health issues, I see no problem with the limits as set (if they are being enforced strictly). If people feel you are not criticising their choice to keep fish - only watching out for their health, you get a much more positive response.

FYI... I have never kept a striper for my self, I catch and release all my own stripers and all my salmon unless they will not make it(salmon). My gram loves it when i bring one home for her, she doesn't know that i dont do it on purpose but thats ok, its the thought. For charters i have strict rules on my boat for salmon and i intend to keep it that way. My clients all had families of their own and were have fish BBQ's for them and that is why they kept 2 per person, their legal limit, i respect peoples thoughts about the fisheries and wish you all the best of luck!! Thanks Captain Pat