Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday Fishing on the 1st Conn. Lake

Well decided to hit the 1st for the very first time with "The Tubb" Once again her fish catching luck did not dis-appoint us (Sorry Throbbin Rods LMAO) Got set up and weren't even done setting all the rods when the lead core out 3 colors fired off Wow!!!!!! That was fast small laker about 16". This continued from 6 am all the way till 12:15 when some big black clouds started moving in fast (decided we had a good day and didn't want to P.O. mother nature) so we headed in. Most fish came off the lead core at 3 colors. with about 4 fish coming off the riggers anywhere from 10' to 31'. Best lure by far was the orange with blk/dots db smelt getting at least 1/2 the fish. other colors where red/brass (homemade lure), silver/red (homemade lure, top gun look alike), and a yellow tiger stripe home made job caught the one salmon we kept which was hooked really bad. Ended up with 8 lakers (mostly small between 13-16") and 4 salmon with the largest (hooked bad and kept) being 16", the other 3 salmon were about 12" - 14" and healthy with some muscle behind them LOL. Overall one of our best trolling days ever on the 1st Conn. Brought back alot of great memories of fishing her with my grandpa and I know he was there right beside me. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Re: Sunday Fishing on the 1st Conn. Lake

Sounds like a great trip Dave!
How fast was your trolling speed. I am prepping for our trip Father's Day Weekend.
I know the fish up there are not all "lunkers" but just catching fish in that setting is a small slice of heaven!
Sounds like you trolled just hardware....Did you try any live bait?
I like to fish sometimes like your grandfather did....and that is throwing live bait on the bottom and catching them on my spinning rod. I think they call that "Still Fishin"!!!

Re: Sunday Fishing on the 1st Conn. Lake

Hey there Bob, didn't try any live bait at all. That's the first time we've ever done well trolling (I still say it's "The Tubb" LOL) but the way you explained is the only way I ever fished with dear old grandpa and LOVED (and miss) Every Minute of it. There were about 5 boats anchored in 28' of water by the sandbar but in all honesty they weren't catching anything, every time we trolled by them we would catch one, got to the point were we could hear them saying "Here comes that Starcraft again, we taking bets there gonna hook up again?" It was kind of funny and if not for dear old momma nature we would have stayed a little longer. We were trolling 2.1 to 2.3 picking up both lakers and salmon. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave