Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone have experience with new Humminbirds with side scan?

Several forum that cover HB side imaging

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gus
Photobucket

My good friend Joe has one on his Bass boat it is sick!!!! Give me a call and I will see if I can get you in touch with him he is sponsored by them!!!

Trav

if you do get one, make sure to write up a review on it, been looking at those the last couple years. just been real slow to pull the trigger as it seems nobody uses the hummingbirds for salmon around here. the guys at kittery say there great though.

Hi,
I have owned a 997 for the past 2 years. When I was looking into upgrading Lowrance was getting bashed on all the forums for deteriorating quality and terrible customer service so I decided to make the splash and go with the Humminbird. Boy am I glad I did! I'll be honest that the side imaging component is not as useful in a trolling application as I had hoped but I also bass fish and this is where it really shines. I would have been upset if the 2D features/clarity were less than Lowrance and others, but in my opinion they're the equal or better. The GPS component is also incredible and the high def. maps are absolutely spot on and very detailed. I have posted some images of what the unit looks like in a trolling application on the humminbird side imaging forum through yahoo. Log in and go into the the downrigger folder. My images are posted under the name felix or felixjayce, can't remember which one. I have a 17' Starcraft and have used this unit on my home lake, Swains, Winni, Sebago, the Finger Lakes, Lake O, Champlain etc.... I have never been disappointed and in my opinion no other unit can offer this many features at this price point. They're not cheap, but for all they offer, I feel they're the best value out there. This is not the same Humminbird we use to buy at Wal-Mart ten years ago. I hope this helps.

Chris

thanks for the info, ill check the other forum as well. the 997 is the one i was looking at, but i might go with the smaller 798 which is alot cheaper and looks like the same features just smaller, ill have to look at them a little closer. does the side feature get you incloser to the dropoffs like on sebago allowing you to follow the edges closer, thats what i was mostly looking for in that feature

Fishlessman,
I found myself on Sebago using the split screen feature with the 2D and GPS with the high def. 1 foot contours. The side imaging does show the drop offs but you need to learn how to read it to be effective. There's definitely a learning curve. One piece of advice on the 797 vs. 997. If you do use a split screen alot while trolling(I always do) then I think the 797 might be too small for you. The 997 has an 8" screen and I find myself wishing it were a bit bigger while I'm in split screen mode. Also, when I bought my unit the 797 only had one memory slot and the 997 had two. This means I can use my Hot Maps premium card and store images/data on a separate memory card in the second slot. On the 797 you couldn't do this due to it only having the one slot. Not sure if the new 797's have 2 slots or not. Check it out. From a previous post I think I remember you having offices in Methuen, Ma. Are you from there? I spent the first 25 years of my life in Methuen. Graduated from Methuen HS in 1984, not sure if you did to. Have since moved up to NH.

Hope this helps,
Chris

i think i can still manage with the small screen, pretty used to it with what i have, still havent added any gps mapping so thats a big upgrade for me. i moved the other way, nh to mass, welding shop near the 5 corners has been there since 75 and was my grandfathers back in the 50's. house is over on forerest lake, been there 10 years now.

If you ever want to see the unit in action let me know. I live up on Swain's Lake in Barrington, NH. I honestly don't think I could ever troll again without a high def. map up on half the screen. You can literally stay a foot or two away from major dropoffs and not lose your balls, hit bottom etc... I did this out of Nason's Beach and the Northwest River up at Sebago and it helps beyond comprehension, especially on an unfamilar lake. Just something to think about. Best of luck with your decision.

Chris