Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salmong Fishing on Moosehead: FishLakeWinni rules

'Been meaning to post about my short but sweet salmon fishing on Moosehead back in early July. First, I must say I've either LEARNED something or found a way to be consistently LUCKY. Frankly, its kudos to this site.

Its been a strange season up on Moosehead. Through about 7/11 there were still no signs of an established thermocline and most people fishing Moosehead were just flat out not catching salmon. Consistent reports of togue, and some brookies (near the Moose river and around Kineo), but salmon seemed scarce. I spent most of my time NOT fishing, building a deck and shed on my property but I did manage a few short trips wedged around the 7/4 weekend and the following week. The best part was my 7 old boy, who has Aspbergers (an autism spectrum disorder), actually asked "can I come with you" before my first trip one evening. I nearly cried. With joy that is. Took him out for 1.5 hours and as soon as we got to the big water we were facing 3-4 foot chop head on. I was not sure if he would handle this, so I asked him repeatedly "do you want to turn around" and he kept saying "no, lets keep going." All right Christian! I had a plan to get close in to Sugar Island to find a wind break, and after 20 min. at 11 mph riding with the bow high we tucked in close to Sugar and started trolling in better than expected conditions. Map study and knowing wind directions really can pay off. We got a short salmon straight off, and my boy was quite excited. After a couple released with nobody home we got another nice 15.5" inch salmon for my boy's first keeper. After this, fishing bite disappeared, and I asked him a few times "do you want to go home" and he said "no, lets catch 2 more" !!! Anyway, that was all we got that first trip, but he had a blast and seems to have caught the bug as he can't wait to get out again.

After my family went back to NY, I made a few more trips with consistent results. First decent outing (6 hours), we boated 9 salmon, all but 2 keeper lengths, best being about 19 and fat. Short evening trip after working one day: 5 salmon, all keepers, perhaps 1 hour with the lines in. Last trip, about 1:15 with lines in, 3 beautiful salmon. 19 salmon boated total and not a single togue or brookie in the mix, this when the locals and guides alike could not find them. My secret, not really, was to troll in 25 ft of water or less along drop offs with lures off the riggers at 10-13 ft., lead 1-2 colors and a spoon in the prop wash on top about 40-60 ft. behind the boat. All fish came up top like that, with several off the prop wash spoon, trolled between 2.3 to 2.6 mph on GPS. NOTHING slower or faster or deeper. Hot colors and spoons (all my own creations) were a red/white shad-dart like DB and fluorescent or glow yellows, gold (solid not metallic) and orange with either tape dots (black and gold) or with tape jobs similar to big John's "SSS" creations. Old Pete type spoons (to me like a small Sutton) outperformed both DBs and guide specials. Interesting. May be that at these speeds the Old Pete's had better action.

Had hoped to post a picture of my boy with his first keeper salmon, wife still has that pic on her camera. Can't wait to get up there and bang 'em again. The side story is my fishing partner, a local transplant from NJ, told other people in town and they were in disbelief based on their own collective experiences. Seems in a short time, thanks to all here on the board, I've been able to outperform many if not most of the locals using all the great knowledge I've gained from this site. Thanks guys.

Regards,

Eric

Re: Salmong Fishing on Moosehead: FishLakeWinni rules

Nice report Eric, great to have a spark instilled in your son. I took my 12 year old grandson out last week with one of his buddies, took longer to set up that his intrest would hold. He loves to fish with his Bass fishing dad (my son) but Salmon trolling was not his game.

So now the "Maine Guide" from NY will show the locals how to do it, I love it. This board and the men on it, has made many of us better fisherman.

Big John

Great report Eric, especially liked the part about the break-through with your son. how awesome is that?
Take care.
Bob

Way to go Eric!

Salty