Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rainbow advice

Mike; For bows I,d try Winni. or Waukewan. To the south Pleasant Lake in Deerfield has alot of bows and some browns. Cal

we picked up a bow off of backpoint last sunday. in 80-90 feet of water 5-6 colors and a pinkish top gun.
trolling 1.7-1.8 mph

Hey - thanks for the responses guys!

I had planned on bringing my boy up to the lakes region at first light but I came down with a fever. I felt a little better when I woke up but he was bummed to miss out. So even though we missed the morning bite and we couldn't get on the water until lunch time, we did get out.

We hit Winnisquam and trolled for a few hours. 5 and 6 colors of leadcore off planer boards and downriggers at 30 and 35 ft. One release - no fish. We took a nice long swim (it was hot) then fished different shorelines. Around 4 we got our first fish...a 17 inch laker. About and hour and a half later we got one off a rigger at 30 ft. We needed to wrap up by 7 (his mother's orders) and at about 6:45 we hit 4 lakers in just a few minutes on everything...then had to leave (I hate it when that happens but leave them wanting more...).

No salmon no bows. 30 ft and the leadcore I had out should have been "right" but going in the middle of the day probably didn't help. I threw everything at them that I had for hardware. I had no attractors and ran my lines 100 ft back....was this my mistake?

I was very impressed with Winnisquam (my first time on) and the state launch facility is first class. I think I've heard it said here before but "Winni could sure use a free launch site like that".

Have done well on very good qaulity rainbows this week southeast of Birch. One 3 lber and one at 3.5, 6 colors on the white perch fly! and Chappys sexy smelt!

-Kool-Aid

Thanks...do you need to use a dodger to have success with these white perch flys? How fast? Are you only using lead core or do you also have success with these flies on downriggers?

Sorry about all the questions but I've never had success on flies and I'm sure "the key" is in one of the questions above?

No I do not run any dodgers in front of the flies. Flatline one right on top, way far back!

One I run 6-7 colors down on the lead and 32' down on the rigger behind some flashers

-Kool-Aid

One thing you can try for bows is too troll a little faster 2.3 or so. Keep in mind too that the fish are eating yoy bait fish this time of year so fishing with smaller flies and lures works well. White perch flies as tied by Al at AJ's bait and tackle on 4 to six colrs of lead so produce some rainbows for you on Winni. Another thing too try is pink, rainbows seem to like pink like in the rangly pattern.

Good luck
Glen