Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Great East Lake in Wakefield New Hampshire

my derby partner has a family camp on Great East and brings his trolling rig up there often. He does well on bows and lakers but I don't recall if he has mentioned anything about salmon or browns. He doesn't normally target warm water species though

I grew up in Wakefield and know the lake well. It is mostly rainbows and lakers, but there are browns in there as well. Years ago when the local sports club was going strong, they were instrumental in getting the state to stock Salmon, but they are long gone.
I asked John Viar about it a few years ago at one of our get-to-gethers, and I think he said the lake was too acidic for salmon.
The cold water fishing used to be great, but it slowed way down and not too many fish it now.
It is still a good bass lake. I have taken many 8 pounders out of there.

I used to fish Great East quite a lot 3 or 4 years ago. If you leave the launch on Canal Rd. (right at Poor Peoples Pub off Rte 153 (from the south) ) go into the lake. The lakers and bows are straight out and to the right. Off to the left is 10 ft deep and less. Towards the top and far right (in ME) are (3) basins through some narrows. The first basin is not much deeper than 30' at best. The others are smaller & shallower.The main lake has water as deep as 105' There is a long bar that cuts diagonally across the first point on your right as you enter the main lake to a point at the back of the lake which is Roger's or Robert's cove. This can hang you up if your trolling deep. One thing you have to watch out for this time of year is, I never knew when the dock was going out or coming in. One year in the spring, I left the launch, and there was no dock there. When I got back that day, the dock was in. The same fall, I left from the dock in the forenoon and when I got back it was up on shore. Nice ramp, but you may get your feet wet some day in the fall or spring if the dock is not there. I always caught fish in there, but the last two years, the few times that I fished it, it was slower. I believe it is catch and release after Oct first until Dec first. Check the rule book, under special lakes. I believe it is a 5 fish limit where you can bring home no more than 2 of each species. Last year, I caught a 21 or 22" rainbow, over 3 lbs there.
Hope this helps.
Richard

Thanks for the input guys.My other question.If you don't mind? is the lake a clean lake as far as the shore line goes? like is it a sandy rocky shore? or is it weeds and soft stuff.How clear is it? is it clean enough to swim? sorry about all of the questions looking at some land around there just seeing what types of lakes are around.Thanks again for your help

Erin

great lake for swimming sandy bottom very clear no lilly pads on the main lake just in the coves

Thanks Dave just what I was hoping to read.

Erin