(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: my good deed of the year

salmon stalker
well ive heard that im crazy from some.and comended by others.last week i went to an estate sale and purchased a couple of firearms.while in the process of wheeling and dealing on prices.the seller was explaining.her husband had passed away and they needed to sell the estate to cover rent?well i ended up with two firearms.for$125.00 each one was a s&w model 41 and the other was a remington 700 so i thought?went home cleaned said guns and then went on line.found out the model 41 was an olimpic semi-auto 22.pistol new price $1299.00 pistal also came with an extra 8 inch comped barrel.add another $600.00.now im realy excited..well when i cleaned the rifle it had a scope on it that was blocking stamped info on barrel.well it was no remington.turned out to be a winchester U.S. model 1917??not familar with this firearm.so i went on line again.this firearm was made in 1917.for the U.S. army during wwI.in 1942 newer more modern firearms were produced.wich ended this rifles use in the war.U.S then sold back remaining rifles.wich winchetser then restocked the rifle with a sporting stock and began selling it to the public.this web site then sent me to another site.wich turned out to be an auction site?well i looked around and found this same firearm for sale..are you ready for this...$13.000 at 60 % if it had the original stock $20.000. my jaw hit the floor.how lucky was i two guns worth 10 times what i paid for them.the rifle alot more than i paid for it.i was very excited to say the least.but later that night i started to feel guilty..god blessed my family and i.with many great things three great children.a home to cover our heads and food on our table.what more could you ask for.after speaking to my wife we decided to return the rifle to the seller.i just talked to her.she was very happy to hear the news on the rifle.but was much more excited when i told her i would be returning it back to her?i also told her about the pistol wich shocked her. but i told her i really wanted to keep it.she had no problem with that. i hope i did the right thing.it feels like i did.and i remember them saying they were trying to make rent for this month.this should help? merry christmas..... sorry for such a long post.alot of my freinds think im crazy.but i beleive what comes around goes around... joe s

Knowing as well as I do, I'm not surprised Joe, having this happen at the Holiday season gives special meaning. Thanks for sharing.

As always, your welcome on the Barge anytime.

Big John

Hey Joe, thought of something after writing my post last evening, If by chance you still have this ladies number, call her and tell her not to have the gun re-blued or anything else done to it. It is worth much more money "As Is" in original condition (even if it has rust on it) then it is if they re-do or re-furbish it. Just thought I'd pass that out there, as I have a very old .32 special lever action that isn't worth 1/2 of what it should be, because I had the barrell re-blued by a gunsmith. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

well guys i returned the rifle to the seller today.very nice family.....i explained to her not to alter the gun in any way.so that it keeps its value?to my surprise she takes me to her truck and in the back she had a blancket with something in it.turn out this was her grand fathers gun and in thew blanket was a stock stamped with the rifle serial # and us model 1917 winchester on it.this was this guns original stock.AMAZING.you guys have to understand.i am a huge military gun collector...and finds like this do not come very often?i will admit this was a very hard thing for me to give up.but i was just happy for this to happen to me. not to pat my self on the back.but it gave me feeling of for better words peace.a person always wonders what they would do under certain circumstances.i know i have??what if you find a wallet with a bunch of money in it what would you do??? its a hard qeustion to answer until your faced with.i was kind of amazed on how easy the answer was. and i feel really good about it.but like i told the family firearms like these sell to only a select few who are very serious collectors.. i wish them luck and a very happy holiday.they then told me that when they sell the rifle.they where going to give me some of the money.i told them no thank you. and if they wanted to give me anthing.just pay it forward..... hope i wasnt to mooshy? but i have a great fealing inside and just wanted to share with all of you.merry x-mas joe s.....

salmon stalker
well guys i returned the rifle to the seller today.very nice family.....i explained to her not to alter the gun in any way.so that it keeps its value?to my surprise she takes me to her truck and in the back she had a blancket with something in it.turn out this was her grand fathers gun and in thew blanket was a stock stamped with the rifle serial # and us model 1917 winchester on it.this was this guns original stock.AMAZING.you guys have to understand.i am a huge military gun collector...and finds like this do not come very often?i will admit this was a very hard thing for me to give up.but i was just happy for this to happen to me. not to pat my self on the back.but it gave me feeling of for better words peace.a person always wonders what they would do under certain circumstances.i know i have??what if you find a wallet with a bunch of money in it what would you do??? its a hard qeustion to answer until your faced with.i was kind of amazed on how easy the answer was. and i feel really good about it.but like i told the family firearms like these sell to only a select few who are very serious collectors.. i wish them luck and a very happy holiday.they then told me that when they sell the rifle.they where going to give me some of the money.i told them no thank you. and if they wanted to give me anthing.just pay it forward..... hope i wasnt to mooshy? but i have a great fealing inside and just wanted to share with all of you.merry x-mas joe s.....

Seems every Christmas you hear similar stories or see them on TV movies, seldom do you know people involved first hand. I'm sure you will be rewarded for this good deed somewhere down the line.

How's the new baby ?

Big John

hi john shes doing great.getting bigger by the day.i hope all is well with you.have a great x-mas
joe s...

Re: R you sure?

Bernie Madoff is rolling in his prison cell !!!

That has to be one of the best stories I have ever heard. It is an amazing thing you did one many would not have done. I can only hope that there are more people like you out there. just Amazing!!!!

Trav

Awesome thing you did Joe!
Have faith that you will be rewarded for your good deed. But something tells you that you feel you already have been!!
Merry Christmas and the best to your family!

Great story for the holidays. I don't know you salmon stalker, only through this website, but you are truly a great human being. I'm going to re-tell this story over the weekend a few times, really amazing!!