Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spring Fishing

Early spring try to find the warm waters, 55 + is where I like to be. Salmon prefer 55 degrees.

I generally don't go any deeper than 15 feet for the first month after ice out.

As for what to use:

Try smelt and medium-size shiners early in the year.

I always run a "long-line" smelt 150 feet back right in the prop wash.

I personally prefer a single hook through the lips. Run these slow allowing them to move (swim) on their own as much as possible. I try to run live bait .8 - 1.2 mph.

When running lures and flies try to run them a bit faster in the 2-2.3 mph range.

Planer boards are huge especially early spring when the fish are up high. You can get a good spread of lines away from the boat which I personally think catches you more fish because I believe the boat scares more fish away in the early spring.

Go see Alan at A.J.'s bait and tackle! He has got the goods to get you set up and catching fish in no time at all!

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me and email or give me a call!

Cody Dodds
koolaidcharters@yahoo.com
603-667-1651

Hey there Kool aid, Went to the girls home hockey game the other night against BG, was hoping to catch up with your Dad only to find out he retired from coaching??????? Too bad would have been nice to see him. Hope everything is well, shoot me an email or text with your cell number again, I got a new phone and some how lost your number. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Hmmm I don't think he will ever stop coaching... LOL not sure how that rumor got started. He coaches the Hanover girl team, maybe that was the confusion.

I'm on break and am working a lot but will shoot you an email asap!

I'd definitely get the planer boards or otter boats. Like others have said, getting your lines out to the side is benefitial. Not only is there less engine/boat noise, but you'll also gain the following: wider water coverage to spread your selection of bait/lures... and a trolling system that almost jigs the line for you. As you turn corners, go over waves, hit wind from different angles your planer boards are going to constantly gain and lose speed. This, in turn, changes the speed of your lure. Changing the speed of the line/lure also changes the depth that the lure is at. So, you get a lure that is rising/falling in the water column AND changing speeds with no effort from your hand on the throttle control. This movement replicates an injured baitfish falling and then darting away. Fish become aggressive when they see that fleeting action. They think their next meal is about to get away, so they hop on it. To their dismay, that baitfish is your lure.

You can always use downriggers in the spring too. Its nice to have a "static" presentation. One to which you know the constant speed and depth. Set it at the desired depth... adjust your troll speed... and until you change the speed or make a fairly sharp turn, your lure will be going close to the same speed as the boat at all times (unlike your planer board lines). I found that setting one rigger to run just a few feet down and in the prop wash can be a great spot a lot of times. This has the same affect as the "long line" Koolaid mentioned, but it keeps that line close to the boat and one less thing to have to move when fighting a fish that has grabbed a different presentation.