Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fishing and Managing Landlocked Salmon from one anglers viewpoint

As we all discuss the frustration of the decreasing fish size in Lake Winnipesaukee and try to put the solution in words we must keep the basics in mind. Drawing on over 80 years of concentrated fishing experience on Winni my father and I often discuss the situation. We both reflect on how we had the same discussions in the mid 80’s. The exact same conditions developed in Winni that we have now. During that period when the fishery went from great to terrible and back to great we started going to Lake Ontario to fish. And lo and behold Lake Ontario went through almost the same trend. I read everything I could get my hands on, talked to all the experts, fished with multiple charter captains and bent elbows at the end of the day with some of the best. All kinds of opinions on why Ontario was crashing spread around until it finally became obvious that as the bait decreased so did the fish. My dad tells me of fishing Winni in the 50’s and 60’s when he often would catch multiple 8-10 lb Salmon on the same trip. 6 lb fish were common in the 70’s.
One basic fact always came back as an explanation and as the common denominator-BAIT FISH CRASH! This was true in Winni in the 80’s it was true on Ontario in the 90’s and could be true in Winni right now. I know from firsthand experience the sonar work that NH Fish and Game does. I know from firsthand experience the DES sonar work did on Ontario. These agencies both reported a good bait population per their studies. I question the value of these reports and the resulting hypothesis. I don’t doubt that the sonar shows bait-I’ve seen the print outs and I’ve seen the bait in hand. I do doubt that Lake Winnipesauke currently has enough rainbow smelt to support the fishery as we know it and want it to be.
We should all insist that NH Fish and Game fix the problem and support their efforts. That is what we pay licenses fees for and every single one of us to a man would pay more to solve the problem (look at what we pay for launch fees). Lake Winnipesaukee is a put and take fishery and it is world famous for the successful management techniques NH Fish and Game has applied for generations. No cutting back on rods, no cutting back on seasons, no cutting back on fishing opportunities in general. While catching is important, fishing and trying to catch them is just as important. DO NOT CHASE FISHERMAN AWAY!
When the problem developed in the 80’s the solution was found by increasing the baitfish? I can’t remember the exact facts (I was fishing in NY) but I think it was Rick from the Winni Derby and a few other guys went to New York got millions of smelt eggs and stocked the lake.
Landlocked salmon prefer rainbow smelt for their diet. If a lake does not have smelt it will not have landlocked salmon. Landlocked Salmon are pelagic, rainbow smelt are pelagic (meaning they travel around in the upper to middle water column to feed); white perch are not pelagic (they stay near the bottom). Salmon and smelt are long, narrow and fast. Perch and Bass are short fat and quick. Salmon will eat white perch when their preferred forage is not available. And as is being proven in Winni right now, they will not flourish on a diet of White perch.
Of course the shoreline development at Winni has impacted the spawning of rainbow smelt; they are more fragile than say Lake Trout at spawning time. Take a look at the great success story developing on Nubanusit Lake with Landlocked salmon. There is an excellent smelt population and the stocked salmon are growing at a phenomenal rate-4 lb in two years! And believe me the fishing pressure is similar to Winni acre to acre.
Any living creature gets smaller when there is less to eat and bigger when there is an abundance to eat. We don’t need any scientific study to prove this, we all observe it.
ONE UNDISPUTABLE FACT SAYS IT ALL. When was the last time you caught a salmon on Winni and observed smelt spilling out of the mouth? In years past this was common.
Fish and Game can solve this problem and it will take some time. We can’t let them stop us from fishing by changing rod rules or fishing seasons. After all it is just as much about the fishing as it is about the catching. John and Don are not only dedicated fishery managers they are great fisherman and love it just as much as the rest of us. Double or triple the smelt population and watch the fish grow. We’ll be glad to finance the efforts.

Re: Fishing and Managing Landlocked Salmon from one anglers viewpoint

I agree 100 percent.Ny does a great job now of not only stocking big fish but also the baitfish to feed them.polebreaker

agreed
i dont claim to understand all of the info.
but i agree.hook woundsa are surely a problem.and rubber nets should be used by all.i beleive if all fisherman/fisherwoman would educate them selfs.these problems would dissaper.but i agree with the above post.the size of the fish are terrible? just 2 years ago i was catching good heathly salomon on winni.i know hook wounds does not help.but i too believe this to be a forage issue.just my 2 cents.
thanks joe s...

In addition to hook wounding from high fishing pressure, I too think the forage is a huge part of the problem. A hook wounded Salmon in Squam or Sunapee does not look emaciated like a Winni Salmon.

They say there plenty of Smelt in Winni, but maybe "plenty, aint enough" for the huge amount of Salmon in the Lake.

Last Spring we caught many fish (over 20") that sure looked starved.

Before you will see any rods per boat limits, that's a real political a football, I think we will see a stock rate reduction as part of the plan to bring Winni back too.

The Derby decision is a done deal, lets hope for the best and move forward.

Perhaps a Salmon stamp is needed to make up for lost license revenue ????

A friend also suggested, seeing that there is no public launch on Winni, perhaps a percentage of private launch fees can be paid to F and G. Many states will not stock a lake with out public launch access..

Big John