Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
derby

The reason the Derby is cancelled and the fish quality is in the toilet, is this websight and the self promoting people who developed it. Bragging about how many fish caught on a daily basis. Also the non stop information that is so easily available on this sight. It's more or less a fishing for dummys web site, ignorance and laziness to go out and learn on their own. Too many people can just look at this site on any day find out what depth,speed,lure, etc. I have had my guides license done some charters on other lakes none on winning. I will not charter again the guides that have been hammering winni the past few years are another big problem running too many lines Alberta rigs to double the amount of lines pressing clients to keep their catch for photos to promote themselves as someone who puts clients on the fish, its pretty sad. The Derby being cancelled is not the end of the world but it does suck my family and I always looked forward to it. My only fear now is that the continuous actions of the many if not changed will soon ruin the surrounding lakes its time everyone fishes more responsibly.

Re: derby

I'm not sticking up for anyone by any means, as I feel we are all guilty of posting numbers from time to time (though I've never had a double digit day on winni in my life) But I find it pretty hard when someone like yourself comes on here and Literally SLAMS this website. How many posts have you made on here? Besides the one you just posted. Don't go blaming everyone when you yourself admit to looking at the site and reading depths, lures, etc... How would you know about any of this if you yourself didn't read it firsthand. Sounds like some of the info may have just made you a better fisherman/women as well. And how many times before you knock the site have you been out with any of the guides that are on here?????????? I've been out with many of them and can 100% say in confidence the way they handle and Release fish, I haven't seen any hook woundings while I was aboard????????? But I have witnessed many people catch a smaller salmon and just lean over the boat take a pair of pliers and shake the small salmon off of the hook causing ripped out eyes and torn mouths on the salmon cause they're in a hurry to get their lines back in the water. Do you use a rubber net? Do you use care and caution when releasing fish? You say your a guide, when guiding do you Try to catch or put your clients on the Fish? We don't Or should I say I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but don't think it's fair for someone who is never on the site, or never posts on the site to be slamming the owners of the site, or the guides. It's not just one or two peoples fault this has happened but a number of issues. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

I take a few of those comments back, as I did look up (yes you can do that on this website) to see if you have ever posted before and I see that you have. So I'd like to point out a couple of things (Just so you know) in the above post I quote you here, you wrote "The reason the Derby is cancelled and the fish quality is in the toilet, is this websight and the self promoting people who developed it. Bragging about how many fish caught on a daily basis. Also the non stop information that is so easily available on this sight. It's more or less a fishing for dummys web site, ignorance and laziness to go out and learn on their own. Too many people can just look at this site on any day find out what depth,speed,lure, etc. I have had my guides license done some charters on other lakes none on winni" On May 30 2006, you wrote or should I say you posted this comment on this here message board " fished meredith bay this evening from 5:30-8:00 did pretty well we got 5 lakers, 1 salmon, and donkyed one other salmon.One laker caught at 25 ft off rigger on orange,red,purple black dot top gun other lakers were at 47,57,60,and 62ft on red and white 61 gun off rigger.The salmon caught was at 22ft on red and white 61 gun a real beauty 25inch fat fish when i got it to the boat the first time it did an incredible tail walk out of the net and smoked out 60ft on my downrigger rod finally i talked him into coming back for a better look we put him back for another day another productive evening on winni." And then on May 26 of 2006 you posted this about another salmon lake "I fished squam this morning for a couple of hrs and again it was a pleasant outing.It was nice to chat with John Sampson on the radio for a few, the radio is usually petty quiet on squam.We boated only a couple of fish which is to be expected on squam not getting the numbers as winni, but the quality in my opinion is second to non our big fish of the day was a 23.5 inch 5.9 lb hog young fat and fiesty. lure was a top gun red and white and also fish on 61 gun red and white and rangley, 33ft dwn on riggers with silver copper verticals,silver bronze verticals with polished silver copper horizontals.we will be back at it tommorow and mon ." Before you post a stupid post like you posted above blaming the owners of the site, guides etc... I would suggest you look at some of your previous posts, as everything you complained about in your original post, just so happens to appear in some previous posts that you have wrote in the past. Don't call the kettle black, unless you want to take a cold hard look in the mirror. Just thought I'd let ya know. Sincerely, LOL DAVE (oh yeah if this makes you upset, sorry I really don't care, cuz It bothers me when other people talk crap about people that I know, especially many members on this site that I am friends with)

Nice going Dave!

Standing Ovation Dave!!!! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE GOING DAVE!!!!!!!BARRY

I just wanted to add I am an amature salmon fisherman and have learned a lot from these very generous guys on this site . Other website claims to be the same but few have such helpfull guys . I am sure that this website hasn't caused the derby to be cancelled ,but think what you will . Thanks for all the help in the past and Happy New Year to all .

fishinelectrician

another point about this board and many of the people who view it. I have learned a lot, still don't have near as much time on the water as I would like and I still stink at catching salmon, but have done a better job at releasing the few I catch, unharmed. Thanks to all who share their knowledge and support our fisheries.

LOL Dave, I am standing and applauding for you. Very well said. Kersten, you also have obviously never heard Jon Viar of NH Fish and Game speak at any of this site's gatherings. I do recall and everyone one of the 150 or so of us there will also recall Travis and A.J., the owners of this site in case you didn't know, asking Jon Viar the question of whether or not this site is harmful to the fishery. Jon Viar's response was that this site is good for the fishery as it raises awareness and a voice for the salmon fishery. So Kersten, as LOL Dave pointed out, constipation of the mind and diarrhea of the mouth will get you nowhere in life. Think before you speak. Not one of us has the answers as to why the fishery is in the current state it is in, we can only speculate, as we all have been, including myself. Come on here and throw out wholesale blame.....give me a break.

Laughing while clapping! Thanks Guys!

Trav

I somewhat agree w/ Kersten although she was busted hard!! Good job Dave!! I myself (my personal opinion) is that cell phones and the internet have made it way to easy for the "Lazy Fisherman" Anyone can now google anything and find out how to fish for different species instead of getting out there and learning the hard way! With cell phones people can now send texts and get thier buddies down to the hot spot! Fish and game even posts where all the fish are being caught (for obvious reasons) Now w/ vexillar, underwater cameras, super strong 30lb test w/ a 4lb diameter and amazing new baits its getting pretty easy! My wish is that fly fishing would be the only fishing allowed! With that said I use all the info and new methods and baits! If you cant beat em Join Em! I do believe we need a larger fish & game presence on the water with some tighter restrictions! We just dont have the resources to police properly! I have been on the ice 15 times this year and have not seen 1 game warden! It all comes down to people being responsible and that just aint gonna happen! I have only 1 other post (my rant on people blaming ice fisherman for salmon kills) so dont waste ur time looking, and I am allowed to express my opinion! Thanks

I also have learn alot from this website. If the rules on this website change and limit posting helpful information all it does is forces me to buy expensive electronics similar to the ones run by the guides so I am on a level playing field. This has been a wonderful site for the 2-3 hours a week that I fish. I will buy a rubber net... Electronics if I have to.

Dave and Link, there's always an open seat aboard the Kool-Aid!

bag
I also have learn alot from this website. If the rules on this website change and limit posting helpful information all it does is forces me to buy expensive electronics similar to the ones run by the guides so I am on a level playing field. This has been a wonderful site for the 2-3 hours a week that I fish. I will buy a rubber net... Electronics if I have to.

Hey Trav, when did you buy an expensive fish finder, lol. Come clean on your unit.

Big John

Yes I run a nice but out dated Lowrance X-15 black and white! Works for me!

Cool Water

Well done Dave! there is always and open seat on my boat for you too !!

Glen

Thanks guys, I appreciate the open invitations on your boats, but If I know you the way I think I do, I think you would have offered me a seat even without these posts. I just get really upset (and normally keep my mouth shut) but when someone goes on a Rampage like that and tears into people that I consider true and good friends, Even I couldn't stand back any longer. As they say there's always one bad apple that ruins it for everyone. And it made me really laugh when I went back and found those posts the Kersten had made from a few years ago, saying exactly the same things he/she was Complaining about. All I know is Yes I am upset the derby was cancelled, but if it is gonna help the fishery improve????? Then yes I'm all for it, I will do whatever it takes to keep the salmon fishery alive and well, even if it means having to volunteer for F & G or anything else for that matter. I want this fishery to be there when and if someday I have grandchildren. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Thumbs up! You had me laughing, Dave.

When and if.The changes are made. To the salmon fishery in Winni. We are all going to have to act in a positive manner.Being negitive or blaming some one else. Isn"t going to help turn things around.We are all going to have to do our share. And Im sure the guides will be the first on the list.

Dave,
I always don't see "eye to eye" with people who post on this site with regards to how best manage the fishery in this state. That being said I enjoy the site and the info. it provides. Everyone has a right to their opinion but it doesn't need to be negative and call people out.
The original post did this and I commend you for sticking to your guns and responding the way you did. Travis and AJ are providing a service here, like it or not. If you don't like it, then simply don't check out the posts here. It's really that simple. I've never personally met either Travis or AJ, but I'm fairly confident that if they thought this site was the cause of the decline on Winni, then it would cease to exist. One thing I can see is a lot of passion in people with regards to the fishery in this state. Hopefully this can be channeled in a constructive way for the benefit of all waterbodies in our state.

Chris

Amen to all that you have said. As someone who has grown up on this lake I believe the salmon fishery has become too commercialized. it's a business more than a sport. Thank you for posting what I was thinking Kersten.

Chris

with that being said, I do not blame the website or its creators for the fisheries' decline however commercializing our sport to the extent that it has been commercialized certainly has at the very least contributed to the decline. I have posted here before but never numbers or fishing locales. I think the human race is intelligent enough to figure that out for themselves. on an added note, and it pains me to say this for the sake of the many talented guides on this lake, but could we perhaps limit the number of guides permitted to guide this Lake? As a recreational fisherman I know the intermittent trips that I make on this lake are not harming the numbers and therefore size of the fish but when I see larger boats with 6, 8 or 10 lines running off of them that bugs me. My 2 cents and in no way am I blaming any one person- just a lifetime, local fisherman who enjoys wetting a line once in awhile.
certainly enjoy a good discourse!
Chris