Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: lead core vs wire

call jim at jimslures.com, he can set you up with the wire prerigged, he set me up with some marked every so many feet so you can let it out similar to the color coated leadcore, or you can just get the wire without the markings and use the counter. theres no stretch with the wire, you need a soft action rod, and the reel needs to not have a gap between spool and housing as a backlash can easily get caught in there. it gets deeper than the leadcore with less line out and i mainly use it mid summer once more than 5 colors of lead are needed, i dont like fishing more than 5 colors out

Re: lead core vs wire

bag
I was wondering if wire vs lead core works I have 2 lead core set ups - does anyone use wire, I have a reel with a counter on it, any ideas

Since you have 2 setup of leadcore, what are you trying to achieve with a wire setup? What type fishing are you going to use the wire for?

When using wire attached to dipsy diver a rod that has rollers guides or a trolling rod with twili tip is recommended. The purpose of the roller guides and twili tip is to stop the wire from digging into the guide eyes.

Wire is manufactured as single strand, 7 strand and 7X7 strand and some are coated.

Twili Tip Wire for dipsy

I’ve provided some information for you to use for specify a wire that will accommodate your needs.

The specific gravity of these metals relative to water which is 1:
Lead 11.340
Copper 8.930
Monel 8.360 – 8.840
Steel - Stainless 7.480 – 8.000

The lead diameter in 18lb leadcore is 0.020”, with sheathing 0.032”

Area of a circle pi r2

Photobucket

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gus

Re: lead core vs wire -- rod set up and usage

Usage: I was hoping to use wire in place of lead core. I switched one rod last year to 12 lbs lead core and the drag through the water was dramtically less and I was catching fish with the same colors as 18 lbs lead out. I was hoping to get less line out using wire. The lead set ups are boat fly rods with moocher reel. As I said I have a new bait caster with a counter and I would like to try something new. What is the comparison drop for lead to wire?

I have used braided steel for about 18 yaers and love it.When jigging a fly at 200 feet of steel which the same has 7 colors the steel is alot easier to pull and in the rod jiggers lot less strain on rod and reel.we buy it at a local bait shop [Frenchy`s in Keene] It is marked every 25 feet.It takes some getting use to it and you will kink it and when it kinks it is junk.I go threw new wire about every 2 to 3 years.I have tried a couple of test and find it runs truier with no bowwing like leadcore will.Have to get rod with ceramic guides so wire will not cut it.I use a Martin 3 to 1 fly reel to hold it.Hope this will help you out.B-man who can not wait until 4/1

Before we got downriggers in the mid 80s wire was all we fished with. We used monnel metal, Ashway was the preferred brand back than. I don't think they are in buisness anymore. Like others have said wire has much less drag going though the water than leadcore and it has zero sterech so you feel every move the fish makes. Its does have a higher sink rate than leadcore, we always figured that the 20lb wire we used sank at about 3 to 1 as opposed too leadcore that sinks at about 5 to 1. On the downside as others have noted if it kinks it's junk and if it does backlash it usualy is deep in the spool and hard too get out. It also tears ups rods guides even ceramic ones (but they last much longer than metal guides) and levelwinds on reels.

I still have a couple wire setups but I much prefer light acton downrigger rods to catch fish on. Other than that I run leadcore becuase it more user friendly IMO.

Glen
Island Fishing Charters

I tried steel and copper last year, the copper was terrible,it's 3 or 4 times the thickness as stell. The Steel was not much better, hard to tie, kinks, backlash etc, as everyone has mentioned. I spent a fair amount if money trying to set them up and threw it all out, both steel and copper.

They say it is great for f9shing real deep as it has less drag and maybe so, but we dont fish 200 feet in our lakes.

I prefer lead 18#, however many that use steel love it, allt of my western NH buddies use it too, but I think it's old school.

To each his own, the only guys I know that love it were weaned on it and I'm kind of a newbie.

Big John

where it shines is on the rod pumper, no stretch, less belly than the leadcore, and more action to the lure when jigged with the pumper. where it lacks is it seems to need heaveir leaders to make up for no stretch and you need to be way more delicate reeling the fish in.

HEY B-man is Frenchy still alive?I grew-up in keene my grandparents lived right across the road from Frenchy's mother Antoinette>BARRY

Yes he is still alive,sells bait still has a small tackle shop in cellar,ties a few flies.just a good ol boy not many of them left.I did`nt know if you also new Bob Buffum him and I do a lot of fishing has he has a small and I have the big boat,I take him to winni every year on a couple of trips.B-man

B-Man if you think of it tell him Barry(Geroge Cummings grandson) said hi.Frenchy was the best ump I ever caught in front of!!!Sorry I highjacked this post BARRY

get the stranded stuff prerigged, easiest way to do it and its not to expensive. get the cheapest rod with the softest action you can find, if its too stiff you will break fish off, the wire isnt too forgiving. i would probably change the 12 pound lead over to cortland 333 salmon trolling line, it comes in 50 yard lenghts, seems to present the flies differently than the lead,good early season, early and late in the middle of the season. the 12 pound lead doesnt hold up for me too long and i switched it all back to 18 over the years.

Dad and I used to fish Squam with braided stainless steel lines with a large Davis spiner and a smelt.
We even caught some fish. (before sonar and downriggers)
We bounced it off the bottom, and lost less equipment than Big John does now.

Louis
Good luck in the derby.

The old fisherman
Dad and I used to fish Squam with braided stainless steel lines with a large Davis spiner and a smelt.
We even caught some fish. (before sonar and downriggers)
We bounced it off the bottom, and lost less equipment than Big John does now.

Louis
Good luck in the derby.

Ouch, some other quotes of late by Lou and other friends:
"We have fished with Big John with multiple lines and have been skunked".
Old Fisherman

"I fished with Big John 8 to 10 hours without a bite"
Salmon Stalker

Many other quotes I can't remember or by who,LOL...

I do loose allot of gear, lol and do get Squamed (skunked) lots of times. But I do catch BIG fish too. My motto, "NO PAIN, NO GAIN" lol.

I can' wait to get Squamned (skunked) or loose gear again, counting the days.

Big John

Hey John, I've got a pretty good feeling that a lot of those big fish were caught on the days you were "Squamed" lol

Your friend,
Salty

Salty
Hey John, I've got a pretty good feeling that a lot of those big fish were caught on the days you were "Squamed" lol

Your friend,
Salty

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Big John

I use to fish Squam with me Dad back in the early 60'when I was just a youngster... I always thought something was wrong because we spent more time hung up on the bottom than fishing... know I understand why the place is an underwater rockpile !
You need an onboard tackle shop like Big John so you can replace equipment faster than you lose it...