Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Truck thru the Ice

From Laconia Citizen

Article published Feb 21, 2010
Truck falls through Lake Winnipesaukee ice; passenger, driver safe

GILFORD — Two men were taken to the hospital Saturday after the truck they were in went through ice on Lake Winnipesaukee, off Governor's Island.

Deputy Gilford Fire Chief John Beland said the two men were able to get out of the sinking truck, a 2004 Chevy 1500 pickup, and stand on the roof until rescuers arrived.

Driving the truck was Michael Berwick, 52, of Loudon. His passenger was Mark Counter, 52, of Bow. Their injuries were not considered serious, Beland said, with each having suffered only bumps, bruises and lacerations, though they were taken to a hospital in case they were hypothermic.

The truck was about three-quarters submerged in water roughly 250 to 300 feet from the shore of Governor's Island, near the bridge, when rescuers arrived.

The men had been traveling from Welch Island to Governor's Island, police said.

Beland said firefighters from Gilford and Laconia responded, including members of each department's water rescue teams. Laconia also brought their diving equipment, which did not have to be used.

He said two firefighters from Gilford and two from Laconia went out on the ice in water rescue suits with emergency transport sleds.

"They attached flotation devices to the two men and assisted them off the roof," Beland said. "They were able to walk them to shore."

Both men were taken to Lakes Region General Hospital, one by a Laconia ambulance, the other a Gilford ambulance.

The accident remains under investigation.

Re: Truck thru the Ice

isnt it time for a law to keep motor vehicles off of the ice..snowmoblies and atv's are fine. but the weight of trucks and cars , just makes it unsafe.. and just curious..what does that to do to the fish of the lake,, im sure oils and gas must make it into the waters..

lunkerhunter
isnt it time for a law to keep motor vehicles off of the ice..snowmoblies and atv's are fine. but the weight of trucks and cars , just makes it unsafe.. and just curious..what does that to do to the fish of the lake,, im sure oils and gas must make it into the waters..

I was thinking the exact same thing, but was nervous to say it as I don't ice fish, thanks.

Big John

Wanna see a complete bunch of fools, go over to the maine sebago thread on Ice Shanty and look at the thread that says pics of sebago derby, must've been at least 10 cars/trucks through the ice, granted it's only about 4' deep in this section but still a bunch of idiots, no wonder they cancelled the derby for the rest of the weekend. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave who's big butt won't get on the ice unless theres at least 10" I hate cold water baths LOL Good thing is, if this weather keeps up we might all be trolling on 4/1/10 Wooooo Hoooooooooo

LOL Dave
Wanna see a complete bunch of fools, go over to the maine sebago thread on Ice Shanty and look at the thread that says pics of sebago derby, must've been at least 10 cars/trucks through the ice, granted it's only about 4' deep in this section but still a bunch of idiots, no wonder they cancelled the derby for the rest of the weekend. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave who's big butt won't get on the ice unless theres at least 10" I hate cold water baths LOL Good thing is, if this weather keeps up we might all be trolling on 4/1/10 Wooooo Hoooooooooo

You will be able to troll Sebago on 4/1 !!!!!! Launch at Nason's and you will be fine

I do not believe we need more laws. What people who drive on the ice need is common sense. Especially this time of year when the ice is melting out from shore. You need to know how much ice is under you at all times. Cal P.

i cant believe im watching the news, and another vehicle went thru on winni..whats the problem ?? " they may have a pocket full of change, but not a lick of common sense " we have had near record warmth, what are folks thinking ? listen up,,, fish and game has said it over and over,, for years now matter of fact..check the ice,,heres a little hint,.,it works much better if you check it before you go out..i pray they pass a law no cars and or trucks on the ice... period ! what it adds up to,., is " you cant fix stupid !"

NO MORE LAWS!

Like you said, you can't fix stupid. So what good is a law going to do except hurt those of use who use common sense.

NO MORE LAWS!