(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: speed & temp at the ball question

Fishegg
When you troll in deep lakes like lake Ontario and even Winni. Your lure speed at the ball can change quite a bit from your surface speed. Under water currents can alter lure speed 2,3 or more m.p.h. causing your lure to spin instead of wobble the way the lure is intended to do. The next time you reel in a lure next to the boat. Watch what it does when you retrieve it faster. It will spin instead of wobble. this is sometimes what happens when you're down deep, except you can't see it.

Interesting, would not have thought that it would add that much speed. I understand why speed is an issue, so what your saying, if I'm trolling on the surface at 1.5 my lure could actually be trolling at 3-4 mph? So How would I go much slower than that on the surface. You must be taking your boat in and out of gear?

I run a Depth Raider for speed and temp at the ball and I like it alot. I have found about .3 mph differance between gps speed and lure speed at 30 to 40 feet. if my boat speed is 2.2 my lure speed will be about 1.9. Somtimes the differance will be up to .5 mph The speed at the ball is always slower than the gps speed. never faster. It pretty much the same everywhere on winni.

Glen

I fish allot in lake Ontario and the speed and temp at the ball is very important out there. I also fish in Maine and New Hampshire and use it to find temp breaks.I don't really see that much speed change at the ball in the lakes around here but on rough days it does come in to play, so you can keep your down speed consistence. I have an older cannon SNT probe and love it. Cannon has a new probe coming out this year. It's supposed to be smaller and better at reducing the blow back that probes can cause. It also has a depth sensor in it so you can see how deep the probe is.( this comes in handy when fishing deep)another thing it has is a light meter that helps me to see the clarity of the water at any depth. The depth raider is a very good probe also. Very popular out in the great lakes.I really don't know much about the Moore probe so I can't comment on that brand. The fish Hawk came out with there new set up I believe last year the probe is a new design and you don't have to use the rigger cable to get the info it uses a transducer to get the info from the probe. the only problem with this unit is it cost like $100 more than the the others.If I had to replace my set up I think I would go with the Fish hawk for the simple reason is you can use any rigger on your boat to put the probe on and it's probe I think is the smallest of them all.I would also consider the new cannon but I would want to see how it does it's first year out in the market.I think it would be an asset to your boat at any cost but that is up to you.One other thing to consider is how much a replacement probe is for each make. The biggest thing about my cannon probe is the replacement probe is almost as much as a new unit. the others are alot cheaper.Just some thing to think about.

Erin

I have the Fish Hawk and If I were to replace it I would go with something different. Mine seems to me to be erratic and inconsistant. I have sent it back to the factory and had it checked out and they say that it is fine.
It loves to drain those 9v batteries! After about 3-4 hours it starts giving you wacky readings (at least mine does) and you have to change out the battery and put in a new one. Maybe mine is the exception because others are happy with theirs.

ilucas
How old is your Hawk? they redid the whole set up last year and everyone that has it says it's night and day over the older one. the new probe is clear and everything is potted so no more water problems in the probe. 'm just repeating what I have been told so I can't say for sure. But I have also heard just what you are saying so i thought that was all fix but I could be way off after what you just said .I will have to look into it more.

Erin

Erbyjoe
ilucas
How old is your Hawk? they redid the whole set up last year and everyone that has it says it's night and day over the older one. the new probe is clear and everything is potted so no more water problems in the probe. 'm just repeating what I have been told so I can't say for sure. But I have also heard just what you are saying so i thought that was all fix but I could be way off after what you just said .I will have to look into it more.

Erin

Erin,
Mine is 6 years old. I am sure they probably have been improoved, just not sure I would give them another chance. I will keep putting in the batteries until it doesn't work anymore!!!!

ilucas
I here ya. I'm going to use my SNT until it's sitting on the bottom of a lake somewhere or just stops working. then I will see where there others are at.

Erin

Erbyjoe
ilucas
I here ya. I'm going to use my SNT until it's sitting on the bottom of a lake somewhere or just stops working. then I will see where there others are at.

Erin

Bring your SNT to Squam, it will be sitting on the bottom of the lake sooner than later, lol.

Big John

John I would rather use your skills on Squam then risk my probe.LOL I think the knowledge you have of that lake is far better than what the temp probe would give us.Don't you think???

Erin

P.S. How is your shoulder doing?

It may be because the bottom of Squam is covered with John's probes.!!!!!

Louis

The old fisherman
It may be because the bottom of Squam is covered with John's probes.!!!!!

Louis

Ouch, sad but true, I have allot of gear down there including at least 3 probes. Shoulder is doing great.

Trying to buy a new car ad get rid of my big truck, that hurts worse than my shoulder did. But we will both be retired soon and the big truck is not needed anymore, nor the big payment, nor the big insurance, nor the 8 mpg city, etc. etc.

Big John

How you going to tow the barge with truck gone or is that going also if so let us know we would be interested in some more gear like the new down riggers!!!

Lineman
How you going to tow the barge with truck gone or is that going also if so let us know we would be interested in some more gear like the new down riggers!!!

Basicaly all I use my truck for is take it north once a year and take it south once a year. Otherwise I don't need a truck anymore, it was never a work truck anyhow and I don't work anymore. We have plenty of trucks around here, the business, my sons all have trucks, so we would get her back and forth to the Lake.

Just trying to cut my living expenses so I can walk off into the sunset and have plenty of money to buy gas for my boat, lol.

Big John

Well the best of luck to ya just trying to get a jump on a deal thanks a working slug!!

John Sampson
Lineman

Basicaly all I use my truck for is take it north once a year and take it south once a year. Otherwise I don't need a truck anymore, it was never a work truck anyhow and I don't work anymore. We have plenty of trucks around here, the business, my sons all have trucks, so we would get her back and forth to the Lake.

Just trying to cut my living expenses so I can walk off into the sunset and have plenty of money to buy gas for my boat, lol.

Big John

,,,"and I don't work anymore". Does this mean you're going to be a full fledged RFP?
Cal

White Cap
John Sampson
Lineman

Very possible, but I wont be in NH fulltime for another year, wife still has to support me.. So I have to stay in Mass maybe 3 days a week, lol.

Big John

Big John

,,,"and I don't work anymore". Does this mean you're going to be a full fledged RFP?
Cal