(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: limiting number of rods per fishermen is the wrong solution

fishlessman
im not a fan of limiting the rods either. something that no ones talking about here and it may be because most live closer to winni, im hereing people making different plans and wanting to fish different lakes or more in the ocean this year. one of the clubs here that spends a week on winni every year for a s long as i can remember isnt this year, maybe a couple will, but not the usual group. might just be less good fisherman on winni this year.

UnfortunatelyI think that is what F and G are banking on, they want anglers to fish other lakes,but maybe not other states. But a license but dont fish here or on Winni.Big John

I've been reading lots of things about a problem that has not been around for a while. I did see about the same things around 10 or so years ago but this time there are more charters on the lake and that seems to be the one's that is catching the most blame. If you come right down to it anyone that fishes for salmon on the Winni is a contributing factor if you catch and release or cull the catch. I've done it and will be rethinking what I will want to do to help make it better for everyone. Less rods is not the answer and I think everyone or most will agree. The size of the fish stocked has been going down from year to year and I think this has more to do with it than other things. One thing that might give these fish a better chance would be if they were stocked after the season closes. This would give them some time without any real preasure from boat fishing. This is by no means a scientific study but a view from someone that will still fish with whatever the RULES are going to be. We should try to make the most of it because they could say NO FISHING FOR A SEASON. That would be disastrous for EVERYONE including the State. If I p*ss anyone off I am truely sorry but this is just my 2 cents worth.
Now, as my dad always said "TAKE A KID FISHING!" and you and yours have a Happy Easter.
Bob

Okay, first of all I consider all on this board that I have met to be friends. The ones I have not met are just friends I have not met yet!
There are no wrong point of views here as we are all entitled to our own opinions.
I know I do not have answers to how to improve the fishery.
But I do want to share some of my views and observations of fishing Winni for over 20 years.
First, if we are striving for a trophy fish program , I feel a trophy is in the eye of the beholder! I personally have seen only 3 salmon in 20 years that were legit 5 lbs or over. One that my younger brother caught at least 15 years ago in the spring derby fishing with my other brother each only haveing one lead rig in their hand as they had not one rod holder on their boat!
The second was when Trav , I and the Professor were trolling about a week before the derby more than ten years ago and we caught a 6 lber that we released.
The third was a beauty I hooked into thru the ice in Ctr. Hrb. more then 10 years ago!
So, my point is what is a trophy? If it is over 5 lbs then in my humble opinion this is not the lake to fish.
I think any salmon pulling drag on a light line rig is a trophy! But 20 to 24 inches and 3 plus pounds is about as good as it gets and it is good enough for me!
My next thought is that more than twenty years ago when I started fishing here on Winni was my personel introduction to people using two rods. I grew up along the Conn. River in Windsor VT. shore fishing the river and brook trout fishing our streams and ponds with one rod. I fished warm water ponds always having a blast casting my one rod. When I moved here to Ctr. Harbor I did not have a boat and joined the crowds fishing from docks and bridges with one rod. And I had a blast! We did not always catch fish but we were fishing! I would watch the 10 foot skiffs with small out boards and the tricked out Jammin Salmon pull away from the docks with two rods per fishmen and think of how that was not "fair"! They could cover all that water in a boat and get two rods and here I was with one rod and could only cover as much water as a good cast would get me. But I still was fishing and having fun! Finally , they changed the law to two rods for shore fishmen and by this time I was fishing out of my own boat.
Bass fisherman and others only use one rod. Today if we don't have a lap top, blackberry, cell phone, high tech electronics, Jigging machines(So we don't need to move, but yet we sign up for the gym),bottom finders,,,on and on ..you get the picture! If we can't have this we can't fish!!!
Bass fisherman need a contest to fish or I am not sure they would fish any more.
Does anyone fish today for the reasons we all started doing this awesome sport!
I am as guilty as anyone! Whatever happened to just fishing and not catching?
I could still have fun taking out my Starcraft and fishing solo dragging one line at sunrise and changing poles to try something different! Or stopping to drift a smelt or trying to jig a laker off the bottom.
So remember why we all fish!
Lets all take part in making this a better fishery.
Let's stick together and value each and every opinion as we all come from different places, but keep the the good of the sport in the forefront.
And most impotantly...Take a Kid Fishing!
But I can tell you that no matter what happens when this is all over ...I will be "STILL FISHIN' !!!!!!

I've stayed away from this topic, since I really don't fish Winni that often. (But any changes may affect all salmon lakes)
I've been fishing Squam for over 50 years, and yes we did fish with only one rod apiece in the early days.
Just want to make a few comments to 'still fishing'.
" If fishing and not catching" is what you want, you should fish Squam. That is what we do most of the time.
As I fish very often by myself, I certainly would like to fish with two rods.

Hope everyone has a great day fishing, and a very Happy Easter. (To our jewish friends, hope you had a great Passover.)

Louis

Nice post Still fishin, I too am the type of guy that just likes to go fishing, If I catch a fish? That's just an added bonus, Do I keep my two salmon & lakers if I catch them? Yes I do because both my daughter and I LOVE eating fresh fish, (though very rarely do I get to eat the salmon cuz my kid hogs it all LOL But usually gives me a bite or two LOL) I just enjoy being with family and friends, shooting the breeze, enjoying the weather, talking on the radio, listening to the radio, bringing someone new out on the boat thats never caught a fish before, I have many memories on many boats and maybe .05% of those memories are of fish, the rest are of good conversations, laughs, and other things. I've been fishing on lakes where you are only allowed 1 rod per angler, and have actually caught more fish then on lakes where we are allowed 2 rods per fisherman. I JUST LOVE TO FISH!!!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

The old fisherman
I've stayed away from this topic, since I really don't fish Winni that often. (But any changes may affect all salmon lakes)
I've been fishing Squam for over 50 years, and yes we did fish with only one rod apiece in the early days.
Just want to make a few comments to 'still fishing'.
" If fishing and not catching" is what you want, you should fish Squam. That is what we do most of the time.
As I fish very often by myself, I certainly would like to fish with two rods.

Hope everyone has a great day fishing, and a very Happy Easter. (To our jewish friends, hope you had a great Passover.)

Louis

Excellent post Louis!!!!!!

Happy Easter