Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2010 Fin Clip chart, know what you are catching

I have the updated 2010 Fin Clip Chart but don't know how to copy it here or put a link here.

Know what you are catching and log it to your creel report, critical info for F and G.

You want to see lots of NC (3 year olds, no clip)and LV (2 year olds left ventrical clip)

If anyone can put it here let me know and Ill send you a copy of the link.

Big John

Re: 2010 Fin Clip chart, know what you are catching

JOHN E-mail it to me I'll see what I can do.BARRY

I have someone that was going to work on it ? If he strikes out I'll get back to you.

Big John

Photobucket

Thanks Stan, if people start checking the fin clip they will be amazed at the growth of some fish and will also notice how a hook wounded Salmon is effectd by the wound.

When you catch a 4 or 5 year old fish that weighs 3 pounds or so, now you will know how bad it was effected.

Print the chart out and keep it with your log book.

Big John

John is there any way to post what a heathly fish should weigh by age? BARRY

jusgrinnin

Great question Barry, it depends so much on the individual lake. For example, a "healthy" 2 year old can vary as much as several inches and even pounds depending on the Lake, forage, pressure, etc.

Fish and Game has goals for 2 yr old fish, etc. I forgot exactly what it is, but I will check into it and post it here.

I think it's 18" for a Salmon by age two in the fall, but I'll get back yo you.

Big John

jusgrinnin

I was correct, the official management goal is 18 inches by the end of 2nd growing season/fall netting time - this goal has not been met in Winni in the past two years.

There will be some questions asked many times by F and G this year one wil be "in your estimation and angling preference, what is a "quality" sized landlocked Salmon"? Details as soon as I have the OK to post it, just something to think about for now. It will be recorded and tracked somehow by F and G.

I'm also trying to get a "detail" list of what data is absolute in creel data needed by F and G. Until we get the Creel Survey set up, be a good idea to keep track of the pertinent date now in your log, data needed should be coming out today.

If you don't keep a log, start now, it's the most valuable tool you can have on board and for F and G.

Big John

Can someone E-Mail that to me? I will get it up as a sticky and or on the home page!

Thx...Trav

Cool Water
Can someone E-Mail that to me? I will get it up as a sticky and or on the home page!

Thx...Trav

Done

Just an example last sunday 22"/nc/ 3 lbs is this good or bad on target no prior wounds.BARRY

jusgrinnin
Just an example last sunday 22"/nc/ 3 lbs is this good or bad on target no prior wounds.BARRY

My best guess by fin clip it was a 3 year old or a 7 yr old. In Winni I would say it was a 7 year old and grossly underweight and growth, but it could be a 3 yr old ???

But in either case, it's under-weight for 22"..

On second thought, now I doubt it's a 7 year old, it would have been longer, skinny, but longer I would think.

I'll find out how close my answer might be and get back you. Tough question (but a good one) for a non professional.

Big John
Who has too much time on his hands !!!!!!!!!!

3 lb 22 inch winni salmon I would consider to be normal size for this time of the year.During the derby our goal is 24 + inch to see over 4 lbs on a winni salmon.polebreaker

My thought was it's a nice fish!BARRY

jusgrinnin
My thought was it's a nice fish!BARRY

It was/is, I just think it should have beem closer to 4 than 3, but in Winni perhaps it was close to the norm. It's hard yo get a good grip on it unless you see it in he flesh and then it takes some thought.

Good fish Barry,

Big John

Now for one twice that weight!!!!!!!!!!!BARRY

jusgrinnin
Now for one twice that weight!!!!!!!!!!!BARRY

Now ya talkin, go get em.

Big John