Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KIDS FISHING

What did I miss ??? All these post about kids fishing, was ther a nasty post that was removed ??????

I think it's great having kids on board as long as they enjoy it. Music is great too as long as it's not too loud, too close to shore, early morning, the sound does carry allot more than we think. Had an old dude yell at me in his PJ's more than once from his front porch, ha,ha.

Don't get me wromg on this but 8 or 10 rods, I have mixed feelings on this, if someone wants to do it fine, I've done it a few times myself, Derby etc.

But since all the recent hype about running x amount of rods, we have tried fishing with only 4 rods this season so far and find it much more enjoyable than the 6 or 8 rods spread. It's so much easier, of course on Squam it can sometimes make a slow day slower, but it's very relaxing and enjoyable and when the fish are biting, 4 lines is enough even on Squam.

On some lakes you may need 20 rods to get a Salmon and still get skunked (I know) not much fun for a kid I might add. But on Winni, 4 (maybe 6) lines is certainly "plenty" to have a good day with lots of action. Winni is a numbers lake and should stay that way, Salmon are dumb and easily caught, so why all the extra rods, to me I find it's a big pain in the a-- most times, try running a few less rods, you might be surprised how much more enjoyable your day will be.

I know many guys like to run a big spread and I have no problem with it at all, I'm just suggesting maybe try running less rods a few times. This post has absolutlely nothing to do with all the recent hype on # of rods, but on Winni 4 lines can and will catch as many fish as 10 rods, Winni is a numbers lake, period. A great lake to get a kid hooked into Salmon fishing, let's keep Winni that way. If you want a big fish, there are plenty of lakes around that offer that kind of a fishery, but leave the kids home, it's going to be a long day and maybe a skunk day.

Take a kid to Winni or Bass fishing on any lake, kids like catching fish, lots of fish, and when they tire of fishing, take em tubing.

And take a few home by all means, the holier than thou attitude of catch and release is not helping the fishery at all and perhaps got us to where we are.. Keep a fin clip chart on board, if you think a fish is maybe undersize or wounded, take it home. Better to teach a kid "which" fish to keep and which ones to put back than put them all back. Those chunky 2,3 and 4 year olds are good for the lake, handle with care. Remember hook wounding is a product of catching, can't always be helped, but we can help by not putting them back in the lake.

Sorry for the long post, I'll have a few Squam fish reports later..

Happy Mothers Day.

Big John