Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Louise R Douglas Willan and Alphonsine Douilly Archbold

I am trying to find out more about Louise R L? Douglas Willan and her immediate family. The Census 1901 gives her as aged 63, born in France and a French Subject, a widow, living at 3 Parkside Cambridge. I am interested in a man given as her son-in-law, William A Jobson Archbold (1865-1947). His wife (m. 1893) was Alphonsine Douilly (born in France prob. 1862, British subject, d. Cambridge 1936) THe marriage record in 1893 for her'Father's name and occupation' is deliberately left blank. This suggests that she was illegimate and that - possibly - Louise was her mother, with the maiden name Douilly. That is speculative, of course.
Queries
1. Was Louise Douglas Willan a member of the Douglas Willan family? If so, which Douglas-Willan was her husband and other relatives.
2. What more, if anything, is known of Alphonsine Douilly?
My principal interest is in Archbold, since he and Alphonsine lived close to Cranmer Road, Cambridge after his return from India about 1921. I am writing the history of that road and its immediate locality.
Can anyone help me fill in the blanks in this intriguing story?

Re: Louise R Douglas Willan and Alphonsine Douilly Archbold

DrJohn1937
I am interested in a man given as her son-in-law, William A Jobson Archbold (1865-1947).

Is this the man who wrote several of the entries in the Dictionary of National Biography?

DrJohn1937
His wife (m. 1893) was Alphonsine Douilly (born in France prob. 1862, British subject, d. Cambridge 1936)

She was a singer who performed at Crystal Palace Saturday Concerts (1887-93), accompanied by a Miss Marie Douglas on violin.

According to The London stage, 1890-1899: a calendar of plays and players: Volume 1, a Joan Douilly, Peasants Douglas, and a Douglas Willan are listed together.

Alphonse and Alphonsine, and Louis and Louise, are names that appear in the Douilly family tree. Sadly, that is as close as I can get.

Yes, Archbold was an early sub-editor of the DNB. I have not yet looked at all his contributions. I think he may have continued to contribute while he also held the post of Assistant Secretary to the Local Exams and Lectures Syndicate at Cambridge. He left to be a College Principal in India in 1905.

Country United Kingdom

Many thanks for this most helpful information. If I can expand it, I will post again.

Country United Kingdom