Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

16th and 17th century Douglases
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Douglass in The Colonies 1730 (MA and NH)

I am looking for ancestor of Samuel Douglas(s) b.1699 Scotland d. New Hampshire

Immigration from Scotland to MA in 1730.

With him were his son (Samuel D. 'Captain' Douglass b. 1723 d. 1816 NH)
and father (Samuel Douglass b.1652 Scotland reported death in NH)
with their wives, children, siblings.

Stories vary and with no date of death indicated for his father I am struggling to find the family link to Scotland.

Several of us connected to him are interested when Douglass (with the double S) and if it has a link to our search in the 1730 voyage and other families in that same time whose names changed.

Country United States

Re: Douglass in The Colonies 1730 (MA and NH)

There has been discussion on the various Samuel Douglas/Douglass in our community network:
http://douglashistory.ning.com/forum/topics/william-douglass-1610-1682

You will find more by using the search box (top right on that page)

Capt Samuel Douglass was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He led a band of soldiers in response to the alarm at Townsend Hill, then known as Nissequassick Hill.

He was the son of Samuel and Hepzibah (Richardson) Douglas, and was brother to Hepzibah, Mary, Phinebas and Joseph.

In 1764, he married Marry connat in Brokkline, New hampshire and they had a son, also called Samuel (b1769), who became a deacon

Re: Douglass in The Colonies 1730 (MA and NH)

I am seeking information on my grandfathers Douglas, hopeful for leads back to Scotland.

Robert Douglass, Lancaster Co, Penna.
b. 1755
d. Jan 20 1795

son of Margaret McConnell and

Thomas Douglas (with one "s")
b. 1730
d. Dec 5 1792

Thomas Douglas, a Revolutionary War patriot, was in Civil Service as a Justice of the Peace in 1777. Then, in 1775 Thomas joined Patriotic Service as a Member of Committee of Safety.

Although Robert was certainly of age to participate in the war, I have found no records of his service.

Service Source:
GIBSON, HIST OF YORK CO, PA, P 127, 432

Thanks of any leads, this site is wonderful.
Wendy Rose