Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

16th and 17th century Douglases
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Sandilands of Upland Pennsylvannia - 1635

I have been able to trace my ancestry back to James Sandilands who appears in Upland Pennsylvania, USA around the 1670. He died there on 12 Apr 1692, and from what I can tell so far, he may have been born around 28 Feb 1635 in Scotland. I believe he is related to the Sandilands of Calder, but I am having trouble finding out who exactly his parents where and when he immigrated to the US. Here is the info I have on him, any help you fine folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.

James Sandilands, born abt 1635 - died 12 Apr 1692 in Upland Pennsylvania.

Married to Annika Keen (Kyn)

According to the book "Some Sandlin Decendants" by J.D. Weeks, James Sandilands of Upland was the son of William Sandilands of Hilderstown and Elizabeth Murray. But I have not been able to confirm this.

Re: James Sandilands of Upland Pennsylvannia - 1635

The Sandilands are a sept of the Douglases. I think the family was shortchanged when the family failed to inherit the Douglas lands on the death of James Douglas, 2nd Earl of Douglas, the estates instead going to Archibald Douglas, 3rd Earl of Douglas who was Sir James Douglas’s ******* son.

The Sandilands are not in my main area of research, and I do not have evidence that James Sandilands of Upland was the son of William Sandilands of Hilderstown and Elizabeth Murray, but I have certainly seen it suggested.

Re: James Sandilands of Upland Pennsylvannia - 1635

Thank you for the reply. Do you know of any resources that might add me in my search? Any advice would be appreciated.