Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

16th and 17th century Douglases
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Douglas, kia 1651

Hi

I see some great information on John, possibly Sir John, Douglas, killed in action at the Battle of Worcester, 1651, whose daughter Ann married William Gough of Gloucestershire in about 1660.

The information here on John Douglas says he is probably the one who was Field Marshal of Venice, but there is no parental information to tie him into the other Douglases, or what other children he had.

I am doing the history of the Gough family, mainly from this William Gough onwards, and the name Douglas is used as a forename by them for at least 2 generations, and appears in 1801 as the middle name of Richard Douglas Gough.

I am looking to see if there is a long-standing relationship between the families, perhaps of cousins, or whether Ann was sole heiress of her father and thus brought money into the Gough family which they remembered by using the Douglas name in succeeding generations, as they would later do the Aubrey and Fleming names

Best Regards
Jon

Country Wales, UK