Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

18th and 19th century Douglases
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Douglass

I would like to fine the descendent of my gggg grand father Joseph Douglass, married to Mary Orr Burgess.
Joseph and Mary were both born in County Down Ireland in 1782. But they had 6 children all born in Scotland. My ggg Grand father Orr Douglass was born in 1808 Troqueer Parish Kirkcudbright Scotland, Other children born is Blackshaw Caerlaverock Dumfrieshire Scotland. Joseph was sent to Australia from Airdree Farm in the parish of Kirkbean as a Convict in 1815 on the Baring assigned to Sir John Jamison the colony only Knight the Regentville Penrith Australia
It is not known if Joseph or Mary had any siblings .I would like to fine my family blood line....Please can anyone help. I have added a web site:
Joseph Douglass 1782-1865:
First Settler at Kurrajong Heights NSW

Country Australia

Re: Joseph Douglass

It is a fascinating story, isn't? I only recently added a synopsis of the article to the Douglas Archives, and also would like to know more about the family.

How are you descended from Orr?

You could also try posting something in our Community Network

Hi William Thanks for the message, I am Orr Douglass married to Catherine Staples is my ggg grandfather via his son William Wallace Orr Douglass married to Johanna Lehane Via his daughter Avelny Mary Douglass married to James Thomas Wall then my grandfather Bruce Douglass Wall married Launa White Bruce was from Springwood New South Wales Australia 1900s.....There is nothing back in Scotland or Ireland.......But i would love to know these family lines and who they go back to the Red or Black........might have to do DNA testing

Country Australia

How many Douglass family's moved from Scotland to Ireland befor 1782......and when did this line add the 2nd s???????

Country Australia

Hi Tammie

I see that some time ago you were looking for descendants of Joseph Douglass.
Just a note to advise you that my family goes back to him.

Regards
Wayne Douglass
Mackay Qld

Country Australia

Hi I am tracing our family history and I have trace my husband family back to a Joseph Douglass who came out from Ireland as a convict in 1815, married to Mary Orr Burgess who followed him out to Australia with the children in 1823. Is this the same Joseph Douglass that you have been chatting about

Many thanks

Letitia Coker

Country Australia

Hi

I am tracing my husbands family’s history, I have traced it back to Joseph Douglass from County Down in Ireland, who came out on as a convict to Australia in 1815. He was married to a Mary Orr Douglass who followed him out in 1823 with the children. There are a number of descendants with the name Orr as either their first name or middle name and I am guessing from Mary Orr Joseph’s wife. I was wondering if you knew the significance of the name Orr.

Many thanks

Letitia Coker

Country Australia

Hi,
My husbands family are descendants from Joseph and Mary Orr Douglass, through his son Joseph Douglass, his son David Orr Douglass and his son Kenneth Orr Douglass of Eugowra NSW.
I am trying to find out information on the history of Joseph and Mary Douglass - where they come from in Ireland and when they arrived inIreland as the Douglass’ are Scottish?..

Many thanks

Letitia Coker

Country Australia