Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

18th and 19th century Douglases
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Francis Douglas - Elizabeth Kidd and Alexander Douglas - Annie Reed

I am a descendant of the above, Alexander Douglas being the son of Francis Douglas.

I am seeking information on these people and wish to know if anyone should be able to assist me in tracing back the parents of any Francis Douglas, Elizabeth Kidd or Annie Reid.

I do know that Annie Reeds parents were Thomas Reed and Annie Romery and it had been mentioned that there was a possibility that Annie Reed was a gypsy girl.

Alexander Douglas had a sister who was married to David Gouk a ship builder in Freemans Bay, Auckland, New Zealand.

Should anyone be able to assist me in with any information relating to the above persons I would be greatly appreciative.

The further back I can trace the Douglas connection the better but I had been informed by my mother that she thought that we were descended from James Douglas and the Earls of Morton however I have no idea whatsoever about this and am totally 'in the dark'

Graeme Thomas

Country New Zealand

Re: Francis Douglas - Elizabeth Kidd and Alexander Douglas - Annie Reed

Graeme, are you able to put dates and places to these names?

William

Hi William

I do hope you get this - I am still trying to work my way around the site.
I do not know the exact dates but my grandfather Allan Leslie Douglas had his 21st birthday on the WWI battlefields - 1918 - that makes his birth date about 1897.

Alexander Douglas was probably born in the UK 1859 (Just this moment discovered died 4th August 1919 aged 56)and Annie Elizabeth Reed born in the UK in 1868 (Just discovered this moment in Dunedin cemetery records buried 18th February 1948 age 76) Her parents were Thomas Reed and Annie Romery. Rumour had it that she was a gypsy girl but I suspect that is merely a supposition based on the name 'Romery'

Alexander Douglas's parents must have been born roughly in 1825 but where abouts I dont know.

Graeme Thomas

David Gouk's wife arrived in New Zealand on the Helvellyn, on which there was a mutiny. My recollection is that there was another Douglas on board, who joined the Militia. There is correspondence about this here: http://douglashistory.ning.com/profile/LouiseJohnston

I do not have time now for further research on this, but will try to come back to it