Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

Modern Day Douglases
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who are my people

The oldest Douglass I have ever known is my father, Robert Paul Douglass from Washington DC. I do not know anything of my grandparents on his side. I am very curious about my ancestry and any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated. One question that keeps popping up in my mind, why is my name Douglass with two S's while many people only have one S (Douglas)? Really, I just do not even know where or how to begin this process of discovery. Thank you, even if you cant help and just read this message.

Country USA

Re: Who are my people

I forgot, my father has a sister, Elizabeth Douglass who now goes by her married name of Elizabeth Cardone who lives in San Diego CA and was also born In DC. Her children are Daniel Cardone and Anastasia Cardone. I do not know her birth date but my father was also born in Washington DC in 1943 or 1945, I know, Im horrible in that I dont know the year by heart. He was born at home and not a hospital, which makes research even harder. I know when he had to get a new birth certificate it was a MAJOR PAIN. He had two other sisters Anne and Mary Douglass who are now both dead and I know nothing of them except Mary lived in Florida. I have a brother, Duane Douglass born in Mississippi and now lives in West Virginia and a sister Lori Douglass who lives in Mississippi. My brother has 7 kids, I think, but, I do not see how their info would help in this regard. The only other info I have is that I was born in Silver Spring Maryland at Holy Cross hospital and raised in Baltimore along with the rest of my family aside from my brother and sister with the Douglass name. My other siblings have a different father and are not Douglass's and therefore are of no consequence in this matter. Again, thank you for reading this and for any tips on this process.

Country USA

Shawn,

There are many variations on the spelling of our surname, usually introduced when people could not write their own name and it was transcribed by an official. It is, however, a good start to trace your line back as it rules out other spellings for a generation or two.

http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/Septs/name_variations.htm

To trace ancestors, always start with the most distant known and work from there. In our case this would appear to be your father, Robert Paul Douglass from Washington DC. You need dates and events. Death, marriage, birth and relevant places. Each of these will be associated with other people, and you work out from them. Professions help. Sons often follow their father's professions, or grandfather's.

Don't assume that because your father appears as Robert Paul on your birth certificate (assumption) that hewas known as Robert. Bob, maybe, or Paul.

Does 'Shawn' indicate a Irish background?

Many came to Washington for political work resons, so maybe your origins are in another part of the country?

Good hunting!

Yours aye,

William

Country United Kingdom

Lots of clues here to follow up on!
Are you incontact with your relatives mentioned?

Country United Kingdom