Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

Offer of help
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Found a family Bible with births,marriages and deaths recorded

Hi,
I have recently been clearing out my girlfriends cellar and came across a large bible (it measures 13"x 10" x 4" and probably weighs a round 10-12 pounds)The name in the frontispiece reads William C Douglas Brigton 24th August 1892.

There are registers of births from William Charles Douglas 18th June 1862 right up to Elizabeth Anne Douglas born in April 1925,marriages from William Charles Douglas in Aug 1892 up to Margaret Douglas in Dec 1922,also a couple of deaths the last being the wife of Col W C Douglas in Dec 1916.

I take it I've found the right family,if it is it really needs to be returned to the family as a piece of social history,It's in very good condition still and quite how it ended up in a charity shop in Stockport a few years ago is a mystery,if it's of any interest to you then please get in touch,I wouldn't trust the Royal Mail with such a weighty parcel,I wouldn't like to think of it being flung about in some sorting warehouse it deserves better treatment than that,maybe there's a family member who lives locally who could collect it in person

Regards Paul Rowe

Country England

Re: Found a family Bible with births,marriages and deaths recorded

I think this really should be offered to the family rather than to myself.
I will email you about this.
William Douglas