Douglas coat of arms      

The Douglas Archives Forum

Welcome to our forum, which is for all those seeking information about their Douglas ancestors, or related material.
​​​​​​​Feel free to post a message. Alternatively, visit our Community Network.

Help wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing Douglas's (1750)

Hello all,

Help needed please. I, and several of my wider Douglas(and relatives) family are flummoxed.
I can trace my family in a direct line to John Douglas who married Ann Chrichton (variants!)
around 1770/1/2/3/. I have documented proof of their 6 children; Helen 1774, Anne 1776, John 1779 (my Gr Gr Grandfather)
George & Sicilia (twins 1781) & Robert 1786.

I can't find any marriage record nor enough proof to find John's birth place, parents etc.

Any help much appreciated.

2nd request, my father John Noel Patrick Douglas (1908 - 1981) had a brother James Gerard who married
and divorced Norah Parker. They had 4 children Andrew, and three sisters. Jane, Anne & Patricia.
Any help on this matter also greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Country United Kingdom

Re: Missing Douglas's (1750)

I was suprised to note that I researched this family a decade ago, as my memory of them seems more recent. They were of note because Ann Crichton may have been born in New deer, Aberdeenshire, where I lived at one time.

My notes suggest that her husband, John Douglas may have been a brewer. The family seems to have settled in Dairsie, in Fife. A search (in the douglas Archives) of those born, married and died in Dairsie may throw up further clues about the family, but I have ben unable to idenfiy anything further about John.

James Gerard Douglas also features in the Douglas Archives. He was a Dentist and set up in Private Practice in Wanstead after he left the Army Dental Corps.

This still leaves gaps which I hope someone can help fill.

Country United Kingdom

Re: Missing Douglas's (1750)

Hello William, Many thanks. Ancestry.co has Ann C born 6 Aug 1745 in Craigs, Kemback, Cupar. had 3 daughters and 3 sons with John Douglas.(no mention of marriage!) John died 20 March 1788, still a young man! Ann lived till 1832 and died aged 86.

Country United Kingdom