Return to Website

St Brides Major, Ogmore-by-Sea & Southerndown Community Forum

Please feel free to use this webboard to ask questions or discuss issues which relate to these  villages.  Do not post unauthorised advertisements - these will be deleted without notice. 

St Brides Major, Ogmore-by-Sea & Southerndown Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
freeview reception

I know we are suffering from technological difficulties with regard to isdn.. broadband or the lack of it, but if any-one reads this web site can they tell me what is the likelyhood of receiving freeview with the set top boxes, some bloke in the bridgend shop said i couldn't get it. but I'm not sure wether to believe him or not as he probably wants the commision on the satellite deal.

I notice from the freeview web page that most channels are available but s4c uses the same frequency as ch4 and maybe thats where the problems are. So do you know anyone in our area who uses it

Re: freeview reception

bye the way

hi roger

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I know we are suffering from technological difficulties with regard to isdn.. broadband or the lack of it, but if any-one reads this web site can they tell me what is the likelyhood of receiving freeview with the set top boxes, some bloke in the bridgend shop said i couldn't get it. but I'm not sure wether to believe him or not as he probably wants the commision on the satellite deal.

I notice from the freeview web page that most channels are available but s4c uses the same frequency as ch4 and maybe thats where the problems are. So do you know anyone in our area who uses it

Re: Re: freeview reception

Hello Mike, Ken Burt here,my mum lives down at Pant Close in St Brides Major. Just recently I installed a Freeview box for her which although wasnt great to start with is now working ok. A major improvement was gained when I upgraded the aerial. The problem where my mum is caused by trees and the valley itself but at the moment the service is stable.

My sister lives in Heol St Bridget and has exactly the same box as my mum without a digital aerial and she is fine. Bearing in mind she lives so high up she can recieve 2 digital services, one from Wenvoe (which my mother recieves and which most people in St Brides Major would recieve) and one from Mendip. She can get Mendip because of her height but people in the valley wont be able to. In my experience even if they can there are likely to be some services missing.

So Mike I dont know what part of the village you live in, if your in or around Lon Yr Eglwys / Heol St Bridget or Penyland Road you should find youll get 1 or both services. If you live along Ewenny Road youll probably only get services from Wenvoe. Either way, like my mum you may find youll need an amplifier.

Im not saying your guaranteed a service (even though I work for one of the companies that provide the service). Why not buy a box from say Currys / Dixons and give it a try on your existing aerial. If your not comfortable with this you could borrow a box from a friend or neighbour. As long as they watch Wenvoe you wont need to retune the box.

Let me know how you get on........Cheers Ken

Re: Re: Re: freeview reception

Hmmm forgot to say if you live near the Fox & Hounds you may find you cant get Wenvoe at all. I noticed last time I was down that they have their aerial pointed I think to Llangeinor. If you look their aerial is pointing a different direction, added to that it is vertically polarised rather than horizontal. This means they are watching a relay rather than a main station. At the moment there is no digital service available from the relay network in South East Wales.

Re: Re: Re: Re: freeview reception

Sorry I took so long to reply to this, lost track of the site and only found it using a webcrawler on my own name. Yes it works however with the constantly changing channels amd getting the two signals (some of which are probably cancelling each other) One of my fav's was men and motors has this been pay per viewed or just mucked up cos of signal interference. Can't get bbc wales anymore unless I opt for anologue. Which is pretty naff compared to digital and its a real pain in windy weather signal loss for 10% of the program specially when your recording. Lose the plot and important bits, with anologue you would still get the idea even if the picture snowed up a bit and sound tracks were never lost. I'm right up top nearest house to quarry on railway view. was thinking of satelite dish just for free channels but the girl and boy have own tellies and digiboxes would I need one dish and signal splitter or three dishes one for each telly?
Tara for now
Spend my life fixing the car, repairing or uprading the computer, tumble dryer, washing machine, dong the garden stuff. I think I'm in the wrong job really.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: freeview reception

Right, Mike, after living away from St Brides Im struggling to think where you are Ive looked on Multimap etc but Railway View isnt on there (and it's too early in the morning to bother mum). I think you must be up the road past the Scout Hall, possible near to Sally Thomas's house. If this is the case, like my sister, youll probably be getting Wenvoe (as you should) and Mendip off the back of your aerial. When you set up your set top box it would have scanned for all available channels and so youll be recieving services from both transmitters. In my sisters case the solution was to manually tune the box only to Wenvoe channels.

The channels you need are as follows -

Mux 1 Channel 30
Mux 2 Channel 34
Mux A Channel 40
Mux B Channel 50
Mux C Channel 43
Mux D Channel 46

Give retuning your box a try and see how you get on. If not joy (and assuming you are where I think you are) it may be worth checking your aerial out, perhaps it's the wrong group.

Men & Motors by the way is no longer on the Freeview platform, it was replaced by ITV4. You can still get M&M but only on Satellite and cable. In your case your only option for this is satellite.

Lastly I recognise your surname, were we in school together at St Brides ?

Best Wishes

Ken

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: freeview reception

Hi long time since we talked... now have satellite and have only just read your last email dated last year only find this site every now and then thru webcrawler.
freeview boxes are piled up till the sky package comes up for renewal then will get freeview receivers to run off dish. The existing ariel is a bit wobbly and until I get to paint the house again I'm not touching it. it's also got a couple of bent twigs. I never got to manually tune the freeview boxes cos the kids would always do it on auto themselves if the signal got a bit squiffy. The boxes aren't intelligent enough or the signal from different masts should have different flavours so the boxes would know which signal to lick up.......hah hah !
My current bugbear is the rectifier on my bike suzuki intruder 125 cos its a custom bike of sorts suzuki put in a real expensive rectifier...that is they put a different plug on it and made all the generator wires the same color to throw us amateurs. Temporary solution solar charger from tescos...now do I tape it to the handlebars or the rear mudguard.......Yes it is at the top of the scouthall hill and its the wifes name you remember Liz Yorath.......We double barrelled it so we could have a unique email address