Return to Website

St Brides Major, Ogmore-by-Sea & Southerndown Community Forum

Please feel free to use this webboard to ask questions or discuss issues which relate to these  villages.  Do not post unauthorised advertisements - these will be deleted without notice. 

St Brides Major, Ogmore-by-Sea & Southerndown Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marine Hotel, Southerndown

In 1853, my great-great grandfather, Samuel Howells, moved from Marcross to Southerndown to be the first proprietor of the newly built Marine Hotel. His daughter, by then Margaret Davies, continued his work into the 20th century. In 1990, on a visit to Southerndown, I saw the building--by then a residence. Now, when I look at satellite views, I find a tennis court where I thought I had seen the old ediface. Am I disoriented, or has the building been torn down? . . . Incidently, my great-grandfather, John Jenkin Howell, married Mary Ann David (who inherited Penylan Farm in St. Bride's Major from her father, David David), and they operated the farm until they emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1886. Needless to say, a big part of my heart is strongly attached to the beautiful Marcross-Southerndown-St. Bride's Major triangle--and I often "visit" the area via Internet. Cheers.

Re: Marine Hotel, Southerndown

No you are not mistaken. The (former) Marine Hotel which your ancestor moved to in 1853,is still there,but as a private residence.As you may know,it was opened in 1954 by Princess Margaret as "The Sunshine Home for Blind Babies but closed in the late 1970's.
Close by in Southerndown village is the former Dunraven Hotel which opened in 1890 but in 1948 became "Southerndown Home for The Blind & Elderly."It closed in 2009 and is still for sale.