Return to Website

writing invitation

quite some stories have already found their way into this writing forum. do not hesitate to activate your keyboard and keep us stunningly gazing on the screen.

writing invitation
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to produce a beautiful trumpet tone

My Little nephew Dallas is only five years old but he already has an awesome tone on the trumpet, he seems to be a natural on the instrument. When he holds the mouthpiece to his lips the trumpet bell angles off to the floor and almost touches the ground. But regardless of his abilities it’s a little beyond his means to relay the information to his grandma who is sitting on the side of his bed trying to get a sound out of his trumpet that will enable her to produce even the semblance of a sound from the instrument. It seemed if she tried any harder her head would explode. Now I’ve never played the trumpet myself but it’s never a bad idea to pass on a little bit of the advice from one of the masters, so I told his grandma that I had read one time that the great jazz trumpeter Miles Davis used to practice his trumpet technique by spitting rice while walking to school and maybe she should try it once with this in mind. She had an expression of surprise on her face as if a light bulb went off in her head and that this was something she could relate to, not that she knew who Miles Davis was, so she raised the mouthpiece to her lips and with little effort out of the trumpet came a pure beautiful tone. This kind of blew me away but after grandpa took the same advice and got the same beautiful tone I knew that it was true. Miles wasn’t talking shit.

Merry Christmas