Return to Website

writing invitation

quite some stories have already found their way into this writing forum. do not hesitate to activate your keyboard and keep us stunningly gazing on the screen.

writing invitation
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Play "Misty" for me.

that reminds me of our first collaboration, between michael karoli and myself when we analized bix beiderbecker's "in a mist". the time was pre-can, 1967 and the mood of it can be found in "mushroom" form the tago mago lp.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Errol Garner drove up to my fathers machine shop in a shiny black Cadillac with a friend of my fathers for a short visit and to have something done to his hood ornament. He was a real sharp dresser. I vaguely knew who Errol Garner was at the time but by the way my father was beaming I knew it was someone really special, kind of like being visited by Duke Ellington. That night my father pulled out some of his records and played "Misty" for me.

Re: Re: Play "Misty" for me.

I listened to "In a mist" by Bix Beiderbeck over four times at a listening station in a store but couldn't retain it long enough in my memory to compare it with "Mushroom" from Tago Mago by the time I got home. What I do remember from the scratchy recording was his bright jazz piano melody line with a dark dissonant shifting undercurrent of chords. He must have been a mad man when he composed that long ago. Heres to madness.

Replying to:

that reminds me of our first collaboration, between michael karoli and myself when we analized bix beiderbecker's "in a mist". the time was pre-can, 1967 and the mood of it can be found in "mushroom" form the tago mago lp.

Replying to:

Errol Garner drove up to my fathers machine shop in a shiny black Cadillac with a friend of my fathers for a short visit and to have something done to his hood ornament. He was a real sharp dresser. I vaguely knew who Errol Garner was at the time but by the way my father was beaming I knew it was someone really special, kind of like being visited by Duke Ellington. That night my father pulled out some of his records and played "Misty" for me.

Re: Re: Re: Play "Misty" for me.

Both you and your father were 'blessed' by a visit from Garner. Appreciated probably more by musicians than non-musicians Garner was one of the extreme musical talents of the 20th Century . . . a VERY extreme musical talent!