Return to Website

writing invitation

quite some stories have already found their way into this writing forum. do not hesitate to activate your keyboard and keep us stunningly gazing on the screen.

writing invitation
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Phony Sneakers!!!

Never heard of the song, but it's a great title. So I wrote a lyric (no offense, Mr. Hardin):

My sneakers are phony

They'd even fit a pony

And my pony's name is Tony

My girlfriend is really bony

Her favorite song is "Mony Mony"

And her garden is really stoney

My favorite desert is the Gobi

Where it never is snowy

I once knew a guy named Toby

He looked kind of doughy

This song is really droney

And this mic is made by Sony

I'm a poet not a phony

If you don't like this song,

Go-ie Home-ie

Well, Holger, do I get the gig next time you play in London, then?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Tim Hardin?

I read once in a Velvet Underground book that Andy Warhol called him "Tim Heroin", but that's implies a sad tale in itself. Don't know if he would've sold more records if he had called himself that...

Re: Phony Sneakers!!!

I know that Tim Hardin played a gig or two with the Can in the mid 70s. This always seemed odd to me, because the philosphy of Can's and Tim Hardin's music differs greatly I think. Of course it couldn't have been as bad as with Michael Cousins. I have a few bootlegs with him singing with Can, and he is the most terrible singer. His voice definitely did not go well with the can sound.

Replying to:

Never heard of the song, but it's a great title. So I wrote a lyric (no offense, Mr. Hardin):

My sneakers are phony

They'd even fit a pony

And my pony's name is Tony

My girlfriend is really bony

Her favorite song is "Mony Mony"

And her garden is really stoney

My favorite desert is the Gobi

Where it never is snowy

I once knew a guy named Toby

He looked kind of doughy

This song is really droney

And this mic is made by Sony

I'm a poet not a phony

If you don't like this song,

Go-ie Home-ie

Well, Holger, do I get the gig next time you play in London, then?

Replying to:

Tim Hardin?

I read once in a Velvet Underground book that Andy Warhol called him "Tim Heroin", but that's implies a sad tale in itself. Don't know if he would've sold more records if he had called himself that...

Re: Re: Re: If I was a rockstar, I'd ...

I saw Tim Hardin sing on stage with Nico at the Whisky a go-go. He died shortly after. Only a coincidence I'm sure.

Replying to:

Tim Hardin?

Re: Re: If I was a rockstar, I'd ...

I remember a gig at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London - must have been about 1975. Terje Rypdal was supporting. Tim Hardin came onstage after the rest of Can, swaying about, but he was introduced as "Deacon James". The guy sitting in front of us said, "Who the hell is Deacon James?" We'd heard that Hardin was playing with Can, so assumed it was him. Later on we heard that there'd been some kind of drunken incident with him smashing the windscreen of the band's car...this would seem to fit with the various impressions of him expressed here so far!

Replying to:

...or if I had a hammer....remember too well those 2 concerts in Hatfield and London together with the author of this....hmmm, forgot his name, he is dead anyway, died shortly after these performances not without telling me that I had never played for my life. Well, it didn't save his. But Christ, what was his name again...remember only his lyrics from the concerts like ...phony sneakers...

Replying to:

Yes, if I was a rockstar, I'd have to choose a dynamic and dazzling stage name. For example:

Johnny No-Mark

or

Cat Garfunkel

or perhaps

Stubbs Dylan

or

Tokyo Rose

With names like that, you'd buy my record no matter how bad it was. Come on, admit it - you know you would.

Re: Re: Re: If I was a rockstar, I'd ...

thanks, sue, for this report. yes, it was tim hardin and you are right about his demolishing quality. as i said shortly after that he died - not without having crashed the house door of my japanese sister michi and koo stark. actually i feel quite sad about this though i must admit never having had a special musical affinity to what he had done so far.

Replying to:

I remember a gig at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London - must have been about 1975. Terje Rypdal was supporting. Tim Hardin came onstage after the rest of Can, swaying about, but he was introduced as "Deacon James". The guy sitting in front of us said, "Who the hell is Deacon James?" We'd heard that Hardin was playing with Can, so assumed it was him. Later on we heard that there'd been some kind of drunken incident with him smashing the windscreen of the band's car...this would seem to fit with the various impressions of him expressed here so far!

Replying to:

...or if I had a hammer....remember too well those 2 concerts in Hatfield and London together with the author of this....hmmm, forgot his name, he is dead anyway, died shortly after these performances not without telling me that I had never played for my life. Well, it didn't save his. But Christ, what was his name again...remember only his lyrics from the concerts like ...phony sneakers...

Replying to:

Yes, if I was a rockstar, I'd have to choose a dynamic and dazzling stage name. For example:

Johnny No-Mark

or

Cat Garfunkel

or perhaps

Stubbs Dylan

or

Tokyo Rose

With names like that, you'd buy my record no matter how bad it was. Come on, admit it - you know you would.

Pete Seeger lives...

Still hammerin too, I'm sure.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Johnny No-Mark

or

Cat Garfunkel

or perhaps

Stubbs Dylan

or

Tokyo Rose

Re: If I was a rockstar, I'd ...

if i was a rock star, i'd have to be called:

Britney O'Malley III

or

the Artist formerly known as Olivia Newton-John

or perhaps

the Talia Shire Experience

no doubt about it--fame awaits!

Replying to:

Johnny No-Mark

or

Cat Garfunkel

or perhaps

Stubbs Dylan

or

Tokyo Rose