Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taxes?

I left my husband in May 2009. He is now trying to get the rights to claim the kids for his 2009 taxes, I found out that he owes the IRS money and was wondering if anyone know the tax laws?
I did not work in 2009 and moved in with a friend who took care of us ( me and the kids) until I could get a job. I called a tax agent in April and asked if this person could claim the kids since we lived with him for 7 months and he provided them with all their basic needs in said time. And was told that he could. My ex is really putting up a fight, but he did not even provide me with the funds to get the kids school clothes or anything. My ex gave me a total of $100 in 7 months and expected that to be enough to get them what they needed, this was after he closed our joint checking account on me. Is there any way he can claim them? Any insight on this would be very helpful, I am an idiot when it comes to taxes

Re: Taxes?

Call the IRS and ask them. When I was in the same situation they told me that I could file head of household and claim all of the children that resided with me for more than 6 months. You husband should not be able to claim the children as his dependents if they were not dependent on his support.
As for having a stranger (someone not releated to the children) claim them as a dependent IRS would have to answer this or go on www.IRS.gov and look up the definition of a legal dependent. It may be he can claim them....

Since I have sole physical custody I get to claim the kids on my taxes. New IRS laws (Form 8332) which the custodial parently would have to fill out and sign before the non custodial parent could use the kids as exemption. My child support also considered in the figures taxes (they added 2000.00 to my yearly wages) so I will always claim the kids not him. Nothing in our divorce papers states otherwise.

My understanding is that you do not have to calim child support on your taxes, only alimony.

Hi how are you doing you sound kind and cool i will like to get to know you better do you chat online so that we can share more about us i am Cassidy by name am male and i will like to get to know you better if you don't mind can you kindly email me back at cassidymashal@yahoo.com