Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
custody

I am very upset. I have been separated for 4 years and divorced for 2. My ex travels a lot but would only allow me to move back to my family (2.5 hours away) if I agreed to joint custody. things were so bad I just needed to get on with life so I agreed. since then he has been as difficult as possible, very demeaning to me in front of the kids and in emails. he threatens police, court, family services if I don't do exactly what he wants. I took him to court to get sole custody. my lawyer made me feel I had a good change. everyone I spoke to said I should put up with it. so what happens? my case is dismissed. the judge didn't feel that there was enough evidence. I am so upset and can't believe that he has just been given the ok to keep on doing what he has and that he can gloat about it too. I don't' feel my lawyer did enough to prove what he was doing, she just read the emails, she even left out evidence I gave her from the school to show how behind my son is. I found out the ruling two days ago from her assistant, but no word from her. is it just me, or wouldn't it be nice if she spoke with me about this or at least put a note in the email about what she thinks happened or what we can do now. I feel so let down and worthless right now. I tried to do what I thought was right and it gets dismissed, I can't believe a judge would condone his behavior and believe his lies.

Re: custody

Deb, Request a Gardian Ad Litem...It is a lawyer assigned to represent the kids and their best interest. it is usually a child psychologist with a law background or visa versa. This person will talk to the kids (if they are old enough) and will talk to both sides. They will talk to witnesses (teachers, babysitters, friends, aunts, whatever) and make a decision. They will present their decision to the judge and it is then up to the judge to decide to take the advice of the lawyer representing the kids. Just to warn you, however, you and your ex will have to split the bill on the extra lawyer.

Also, my advice about a lawyer you don't feel comfortable with....ditch the lawyer and get a new one. Find one that you see eye to eye with, that feels like your bff, like you can tell him/her anything and they won't judge you or make you feel unsure. I wih I would have ditched my lawyer long ago. (I never did) luckily I was awarded sole custody of my boys.

Beth