Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My overseas divorce

I am writing this letter to you hoping that you can help me in any way possible. I am a thirty-old African woman originated from Senegal (West Africa). I have lived in the United States for 10 years and I have 2 kids. I am actually living a very difficult situation with the man I called my “husband”. We met again back in 2003, dated for approximately 2 years and got married. We had our first child a year after our marriage and the second one, 1 and a half year later, a girl and a boy. After our son were born he decided that since our lives was hectic it was best for us 3 (the kids and I) to move back home and it will be easier for him to provide for us because of the low cost of living and being that I was a stay-at-home mom. I agreed to his decision because of our religious beliefs which say that men have the last say so. I left behind all the opportunities I could have had, holding to all of his promises. One year later after my kids and I got back to Senegal, he came twice to visit us, called us less and sent much less money than promised. We stay at my sister’s house and still do not even have that apartment he guaranteed us before we left. My mother has been helping me sustain for the most part to raise my kids and survive. But the hardest part of it all is that on his second visit while I was struggling to take care of the kids and hoping for a better future while missing and loving him. He threw on me the news of taking a second wife with his mother’s help. I gave him the ultimatum of choosing that woman or his family, he chose his family. But as soon as he left to go back to the States, he decided again that he wanted a divorce (he sent me an email) without consulting me, saying that we have been having marital issues unknown to me. He divorced me from a religious standpoint but is remaining legally married to me. He claims that staying legally married would be more beneficial to us because in the States, families get more opportunities especially during the tax return period. Last year he had about $7000 but only gave me $1000 and when I tried to ask him for some more money he said that it was his money. My problem is that I am the one dealing with all the problems, living in rudimentary conditions, taking on me to let him continue his education, allowing him to focus on his career. Meanwhile, he jeopardized my life and had me put up my life goals. He pushed me to go back home and promised he was going to help me become a citizen of the United States. Now I am stucked and do not know what to do to get back to the States to let my American citizen kids have the same opportunities. The reason why I am telling you my story is for you to help me find a solution to the situation I am living. He basically dropped us to Senegal and went back to the States to live freely as he liked forgetting that he did not take me there. I truly need your help in guidance, to tell me if should myself file for divorce first and if yes how do I do it from abroad, anything that will be helpful please. There is absolutely no public assistance of any kind and I am lost not knowing what to do plus my kids do not deserve an uncertain life (daily power and water shortage, high cost of living…).On top of all he has done, I am still trying to be nice and allowing him to talk to his kids when he feels like calling. What do you think I should do, I am super confused and I need help. Thanks!