Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need to Vent!!

You know,after dealing with the way the court runs in my state. I have come to the conclusion that it would be nice to have a jury made up of a number of people to hear divorce cases (I know this is impossible)but when facing a judge you have to hope for the best. I know all the lawyers want to make sure they get the right judge...why is this if they should all be fair? What if the judge you have has a bad day or they tend to lean for a man or a woman more. What if they just don't see your side of something so well....etc. At least with a number of people they have to work to get a fair compromise. I am not saying all judges are bad. I had a fair judge, but I know people who have not.

Susan

Two of my friends are also going through divorce. Funny how it goes from county to county as well.
One is in a county that believes in fairness to both parties. Equal, straight down the line. That can be good but it should depend on the situation.
The other she is in a GREAT county ( for a woman lol) THey believe in the mother's right. Father take a back seat, that can be bad as well. My cousin WANTS to be a father to his children but in that county he only gets what his ex gives him...
Me, yep I get the county that is know to side with the father, how lucky am I?
I agree with you, our lives should not depend on just 1 person. Or at the very least that one person should HAVE to listen to all the fact. Not shove important issues aside because they feel it is "digging up old issues" Most family court issues are "old issues" And some old issues are the most important when it comes to the safety of our children. That was my main concern. Maybe when my stbx flips and harms my children something will be done. If she would have just listened to what I had to say things would be fine. I just wanted my ex in therapy for his anger issues so that maybe I could sleep better when they are with him. Now I am forced to smile and wave as he drives off with MY babies in his car not knowing what kind of mental state he is in.....

I think it is just that the courts have so many divorce cases to deal with now that the judges have to decide what is important to hear and what will just tie up their time. The thing about that is...the judges get to decide what they think is important and what they do not. They run the show... they get the say. It's a throw of the dice for both parties involved.

Susan
PS That is why they tell you to go to mediation, but 90% of the time that never works out either.

I agreed to go with the “mediator “ whose wife was a friend of my ex sister in law

He was a conman

My ex sister in law said that he was a very busy international lawyer and that I should be grateful that he agreed to see me.

He was actually a conman

He said he was also a psychologist but he wasn’t

I agreed to sit down and write a rough draft of the divorce decree with him so that my ex would finally agree to go to court
He got a lawyer for both of us who was later disbarred to write the final decree and present it to the judge.

I didn’t pay much attention to the part about shared custody because we all knew the kids would never stay overnight with him because he went to live with his parents.

BUT the judge DID pay close attention to the details saying which part of the week he was supposed to keep them, so he only gave me half of the child support even though they were with me 24/7.

Be careful to read all of the details of your divorce decree and have a good lawyer represent you:

I didn’t read it thoroughly until years later