Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just decided

I truly believe life's greatest lessons are the most painful. I feel that my extreme emotional reaction towards my stbx husbands infidelity and rejection has more to do with my sense of self then the ending of my marriage. Having to face being alone, supporting myself, even mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway has given me an appreciation of my ability to be independent. Despite being lonely at times, I have so many moments of gratefulness that I no longer am around someone that truly did not respect me. It was emotionally an even lonelier place to be. The divorce process is a journey of so many mixed emotions. In retrospect, I am trying to ask myself not why did my husband do this or that but why did I remain in an emotionally vacant marriage for so long. What my husband is thinking, doing and who he is doing it with is really irrelevant! What is relevant is what I do in order to live a happy fulfilling life. I wish the best for you Susan. You sound like a strong woman that has come to the same conclusion. May we both never compromise our respect and dignity again in any relationship!

Your words ring so true. I have reached a point where the awful things that my ex said and did as well as some of the things he continues to do are now in God's hands and judgement. It is not good holding on to all that pain and issues belonging to him. After the anger, the hurt, the shame in them and their actions, you have to work on finding peace again within yourself. That is one thing my ex can never do...all his happiness is in his outside world. He depends on money, objects, trips and activities to give him his highs in life and when they no longer do he goes searching for new things. I can't tell you how many homes, cars, earlier jobs etc...he has gone through. He can never just sit back and enjoy what he has for very long....it was only a matter of time before he gave me up as well. I am surprised I lasted 20 years... I must have done something right in his eyes. But it is all so freeing just to let him go and leave justice to God. Right now I have my home and children to deal with along with other things and my plate is full. When the boys no longer need this house or their mom so much...I will have more time and freedom to explore the possibilities of all the directions life may take me. Thinking about this kind of makes me put ever marrying again on a back burner. Sometimes I go out to a store or movie etc and I see a husband and wife speaking very cruel to one another in a heated argument and I think to myself....It is good to be free.

Susan

I so just love your words. I have been separated since summer 2008 and our divorce was final April 7, 2009. I have not had the desire or interest in having another man in my life. Sometimes you wonder if there is something wrong but after reading what you wrote I just do not think so. I had almost 20 years of being controlled by somebody else. I lost myself over those years and I am working on getting myself back. I get lonely sometimes but it is peaceful and quiet in my house and I would not change that for anything. I want to find other women like me who believe it is okay to be by themselves, find themselves again and maybe just maybe allowed another person back in their life. Please I want to hear from other women on how they feel. I know for myself I do not want to make another mistake - I would rather grow old by myself then just settle on another man.