Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spousal support

Does anyone know anything about spousal support. My 2nd husband was fired from his job for sexual harrassment and then after this was revealed to me, my daughter admitted that he has been sexually harassing her for 5 months. She is an adult, and from my first marriage I am devastated, our entire family is. He is now sueing me for support and medical coverage. If he wins, I will have to sell my home, this would be awful. I have already lost so much and can't believe he expects me to support him after what he has done. I thought we had a good, happy marriage. I have never been so hurt and betrayed

Re: spousal support

What state are you in? I don't have children but my friend went through a divorce where she was the sole provider. I am so sorry for your daughter and your family. That is horrible. He deserves jail nothing more. You can also try this number for free legal advise 714-571-5200 they hopefully can help you over the phone. They are in California and I am sure all states are a little different. All the luck to you and I will pray for your daughter and you.

Re: spousal support

Spousal support will be based on need. This would be one person needs to be supported by their ex and the ex has the ability to support them. It will also be based on the length of the marriage and the history of support for the other person in the past. The court will make a ruling based on these items.
My ex did the same thing, meaning refused to work, and then asked for spousal support. He got it for over two years, 1/2 of my gross income. The court determined I could afford to pay it since I had supported him threw his unemployment many times during our marriage. I can tell you I could not afford it but since the court thought that I could I was ordered to pay.
At the very end of the divorce process, when we went to trial, I agreed to give hime all of the equity in our home(meaing signed the house over to him) in exchange for no future spousal support. You would basically be doing the same ting if you have to sell you home in order to support him.
If your ex has not been unemployeed long chances are you have not established a pattern of support that he can present to the court, if he has been unemployeed for a good length of time then get ready, it could be very hard for you for awhile.