Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teens and dating

My divorce was final a year ago and I started dating about 8 months ago....a wonderful man who was also just recently divorced with no children. I have a 16 yr old boy and a 17 year old girl. I thought my boy would have a problem with my new relationship but it is my girl. My significant other showed up at her volleyball game and she was not happy and requested that he not come to "her" games anymore. We talked last night and she doesn't dislike him and cannot verbalize a reason. Do I let a 17 year old tell me (47 year old) whom I can go where with? He wont be at many of her games but I would like him to come to some of them as he enjoys them. My son says "just ignore her mom, she has no right to dictate who you see or where you go". My ex has brought his gfriend to some of her summer games, (she was the "other woman" for about 2 years prior to our divorce). I'm not sure how she felt about that.

Re: Teens and dating

I am not in your position but I'd put my daughter first.

I would explain to her that he is their to show support not to replace her dad. And that soon enough she will move out and you need to be happy and content to. My kids are 9-11and 17 and they are all happy for me to move on and be happy. I think it is all how you present it. also make a good point to her is their are no step- kids involved so much more chance of her getting spoiled with love if this works out

Until there is a ring on your finger and a date has been set do NOT involve your dating with your teenage children, it is not necessary.

Thank you ALL for your imput. I realize there is a thin line I must walk and not too much information can be shared with my children but while I thank you for your imput Id....I think that is the totally wrong approach to any situation involving children. My children were blind sited by my ex's affair (as was I).....I am going to be up front and honest with them about whom I keep company with. I believe that mom of three's advise was more in line with my thinking. BTW, I have a suspision that my ex's relationship with the "other woman" is going poorly and he may be putting ideas into my daughter's head. She has always been daddy's girl.

Again...thank you ALL for your imput!