Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cost of divorce

I hired my lawyer April 2008 with a $3000 retainer. After 17 months and over $16,000 I am still not divorced. Even though the Judge granted the divorce in April, my lawyer still has not drawn up any papers. I was hoping that others could share how long it has taken them and what the cost has been. This was not a difficult divorce either, married 30 years, grown children, nothing really difficult to separate. I appreciate any responses.

Re: cost of divorce

Very difficult divorce, child cusotdy issue and husband seeking spousal support and all assets.
30 months 58,000 in attorney fees and forensic acountants (he swore I had millions hidden).

Re: cost of divorce

Filed for divorce ($250 filing charge) in May 2009 $1000 to hire first attorney.
Ex took my kids attorney did nothing. 2 $100 fee to "interview" two different attorneys. Finally hired second attorney in August 2009. $2500 for Custody and divorce
3 mediations, 2 custody hearings, 1 comptempt hearing.
Countless hearing at DR because my ex don't want to pay child support. $1500 more to my attorney, and STILL not divorce....ugh
My savings is now gone...borrowed $750 from my mother last month jkust to file charges against my ex for hiding income so that I can get the money I deserve because he is renting our home. We are still legally maried so half of what he gets should be going to me. Seems like there has to be a cheaper way to divorce. If anyone finds it PLEASE let me know