Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: divorce settlement

we both had QRDO's, is that the same as what you have described?
i have been assigned a certain amount of his retirement, which i hope i will be getting soon, monthly. it has been assigned to me but have not started to receive it yet.
but it is entirely up to him to split the 401k funds that he was given out of my retirement. it was ordered and adjudged that he give me this in the divorce papers, immediately, but i know him after 23 years and feel that he won't do this.
my main question is can i file a complaint without an attorney? i have already spent so much money on this divorce. can i go to the courthouse where the divorce was granted and just file paperwork? and, how long do i wait?
thank you

Since it is in the divorce papers you can file a motion for contempt charges, yes you can file anything an attorney can file and represent yourself in court just make sure you know how to file and the legalitites of it. In my state you can not file contempt charges without first serving the motion for contempt on him, then the court will schedule the hearing.
If your decree says immediately I would think that this woudl mean within the next working week. Keep in mind just because it is in the divorce papers does not mean the ocurt will find him in contempt, the first, second or third time you take him to court, but eventually they will say enough is enough...normally contempt the first few times is just a slap on the wrist and they are told to comply.

THANK YOU so much for your help. it's been almost 3 weeks now since the 401k has been set up for him. i will go to the courthouse this friday if i haven't heard anything.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! this has been such a draining, long process, i'm pretty much broke and just getting by and i owe, i owe, i owe!
marti